Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) building a new bicycle (Read 15582 times)
Hermskii
privatehook

Re: building a new bicycle
Reply #20 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 3:23am
Print Post  
I presume that is the finished work minus minor tweaks then correct? I know what you started with. I know some of what you did. I know you have done this before and if you did it again you liked doing it I suspect. It looks to me like a long distance endurance run type speedster of some sort. I wonder if you won't build another one or two and sell them or could you? The main thing I hope is that it brings you happiness and that you don't hurt yourself on it. How many gears? I saw some section about a mythical gear sequence that you thought you might obtain with thicker spacers or something like that. Did you get it done? Are you happy with it now that it is complete?

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
It is done. Just the usual perfection tweaks to do once it hits the road a few times. It shifts great up on the stand, we'll see how it does once I get it on the road.

Though it is a mountain bike, I put speedy tires on because I will ride it on city roads and hills. I will do hills on it for cardio.

I am very stoked about this bike, personally to me it is priceless. A mint condition '91 specialized frame (in my size too), some old stock parts that were never used, a complete custom combination of parts, black theme for all the parts... she is a one of a kind.

Building a bike from scratch ain't cheap though when you use good parts. I would love to do it again, in ooooh, let's say the year 2017.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #22 - May 13th, 2013 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
I have a guy at work that rides in most days. He lives about 25 miles away. he builds his own bikes too. He enjoyed your display here. I'll try to get a bunch of pics of his bike and post them here.

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #23 - May 19th, 2013 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
You're not saying he rides 25 miles to work, are you? My ride is 4 miles one way. It's a nice ride, mostly suburbs, I only have 4 traffic lights the whole way. I ride casually in the morning so as not to sweat, takes 25 mins, then I blast home for the cardio benefit, takes between 15 and 20 mins, depending on the luck with the lights.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #24 - May 19th, 2013 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Yes. I'm saying 25 miles one way. It is sort of funny too that he is such an enthusiast that if he can't ride in because of rain or something, you can tell he is less happy all day long.

He normally comes in a sweaty. Goes to the restroom and cleans up and changes clothes and then looks normal. At 4:30 he suits up in the spandex shorts and all of the cyclist gear and walks his bike back out of the office. Pictures coming soon I hope.

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

a nameless entity
YaBB Newbies

Reply #25 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 5:12am
Print Post  
I used to fantasize about building a kit motor bike.  Wink

I really like the way you put together the front gear set.  It looks very visually attractive.  I also really like the way it says "Made in Canada" on each piece.  That phrase is so rarely seen nowadays.  When I was a kid I'd see it all the time.  Now not so much. 
I was using a tool to do something the other day.  It was a very old tool that my parents must have bought many decades ago.  I live in their house that I inherited along with all the stuff that they had accumulated.  I have many antique bits and pieces of just about everything.  They all say "Made in Canada" or "Made in USA" on them.  One does not often see the kind of quality that has made them last for more than 50 or 60 years any more either.

May your new bike outlast you, and perhaps your children too.  Smiley Grin

I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess.

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #26 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Thanks for comment on front gear set. There and throughout the bike I went for subtle and classy, so most parts are black-themed instead of silver-themed. The black "made in canada" chainrings look awesome.

I hear you on the quality of things. I'm a thrifty guy who doesn't need flash, so if something works I don't have to replace it with something new just for the sake of it. I have some wood ikea desk/shelves/cupboards from 30 years ago. These days, ikea stuff is corkboard crap. Bought a spare desk from them about 5 years ago, shortly after I bought it I smacked the desktop with my fist - put a big hole in it, lol. No I'm not bruce lee, it was practically cardboard once you could see inside it.

Those new energy-efficient light bulbs? Oh btw they contain mercury, emit enough high levels of harmful radiation to be considered a cancer threat, and they have to be recycled carefully!! But you know where most of them will be going... straight to the dump! Oh my gawd, typical corporation dollars speaking again.

I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Back in '91 they made nice light frames out of STEEL, so ya I'll be giving one of these bikes to my niece in 20 years Smiley

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint