Welcome to Mount St. Helen.

Started by Helen, Dec 26, 2009, 06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keller

it looks like i have 2 accounts? lol

Helen

Quote from: 414F404E47474E592B0

Aha, another talk face in the chat area causing a problem. This started happening back when snapper started playing, because he had the skaarj skin. I did a workaround fix for that, which is that the skaarj talk face is not shown in the chat area. When it happened today, I think we all had some of the very stock skins, so that's odd.

Suggestions would be to update D3D driver, or to turn off Show Chat Area option in preferences.

Quote from: 404E47474E592B0it looks like i have 2 accounts? lol 
why did you register another account?
One of the Scriveners.

jdkeller

I could not for the life of me figure out my old account it wouldn't let me in, could you fix?

Hermskii

That error won't happen with OpenGL right? Isn't that an old D3D attack to crash servers?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Helen

Quote from: 393738363F3F3621530I could not for the life of me figure out my old account it wouldn't let me in, could you fix?
Do you just mean you forgot your password? Just try clicking the "Forgot your password" button, it should mail you a new one. Hypothetically that is. I've never tried it myself, but I'm sure that's what it would do.

Quote from: 393B3A36343621530That error won't happen with OpenGL right? Isn't that an old D3D attack to crash servers? 
That is apparently correct, it won't happen with openGL. We had four players on, the two with D3D crashed, the two with openGL did not. And though I've heard that was used as an attack, I think something else would have to be in play, like valhalla avatar, because that is the only way I could think of that a client could get a bad file on to the server. Well actually that's just a guess, but I'm trying to draw on my experience from coding.

One of the Scriveners.

Hermskii

Yeah,  Ithought that crash sounded familiar. I think there is a patch for it as well. What version of patch is the server running on now? 436? 440? 451? 451A? 451B? Other?

I've also seen that error if the S3TC textures are installed on the players computer but the player is still set to use D3D as their video renderer. If they do that, the game won't even start up. It will just crash with an error complaining about the over-sized textured blah blah blah..

That is why in my latest S3TC testure package (repackage of DIEHARD'S textures plus more) I say in the directions where to get the OpenGL driver and how to change your UT to use it.

Yep, I have made a new package complete with my perfect directions to help people install and use these textures properly. keller already gave it a shot and enjoyed his success. Since then, I have also installed the "Extreme End" S3TC textures he offered and they had toal success as well!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook

If Helen's server is at GameServers.com, it is the latest 451b I believe. ;)
[size=14]=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net[/size]
[size=12]Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777[/size]

magnum45

Hello all @ Mount St. Helen. Top server excellent maps  ;D

Helen

Hey, welcome, thanks for the praise. I've managed to play with you a few times, I hope to see you more often  :)
One of the Scriveners.

magnum45

Yeah def, it's one of the best dm's i've played on. Map selection is great and varied :)


One thing though M.S Helen, just played on the server with a player called "21" and a bot called "Killer" wrecked it for us. This was at 11.15pm GMT (london) time..... I can see the sport or fun in using a bot............

magnum45

Sorry typo above "cant see the sport or fun........."

Helen

Thanks for the report. I can see from the stat file that 21 thought he was a bot too. And the other stats and time of game indicate a bot. So he's been banned.

London eh? I was born in england. That was a long time ago, lol.
One of the Scriveners.

magnum45

May i ask where in the uk? I think you got the better deal moving lol. Originally i'm from the west country uk (Wiltshire), a country bumkin....


Helen

Born in the country? Is there still any country left over there? lol

I was born in Wolverhampton, left when I was only 4 months old.
One of the Scriveners.

magnum45

just about but it's political, "changes" amidst with new building regulation on green belt areas blah blah.... A northern lass eh?  :)

Helen

One of the Scriveners.

Hermskii

~Peace~

Hermskii

Hook

Nothing wrong with living out in the country (the sticks) - I am very glad I do!
[size=14]=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net[/size]
[size=12]Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777[/size]

relentless

Want to say 'Hello' I have been playing on your server lately and really enjoy it. I like the map rotation. Reminds me of the early days of playing UT at work. Before my company downsized, we would fire up UT about 15 minutes before 5pm and play internally on our network. We played custom made maps mostly, my computer was the server. At one point there were 4 of us playing. Sometimes I would have LAN matches with my brother and our mutual friends on the weekends. I run Macs, no Windows for me. Been using them since 1992. I can use Windows or Linux, but prefer the Mac OS and hardware.

I'm in advertising/marketing, mostly do printed material and websites. I'm a photographer, you may have seen some of my work in the 1990's and early 2000's if you were looking to purchase a Hoover vacuum cleaner. Our company produced the point-of-sale labels/cartons for them and I was the photographer. Later I also helped make the labels/cartons. Currently I maintain several websites and produce product data brochures, company literature and other material needed for marketing.

My home rig is old, a Blue and White G3, with an aftermarket cpu, PowerPC 750 GX-1.1 GHz. An ATI Radeon PCI 9200, 1 GB RM and three internal HDs and two external HDs. My latest endeavor is video. I have been producing DVDs of my kids sporting events for the last three years. This year I was asked to photograph my son's swimming team and make a video for the Winter Banquet. 900 images later, I have a 15 minute video that is just as good as a commercial DVD.

See you on the server, I live in the EST time zone, so most times you will see me is between 9-11pm EST. Thank you for keeping the UT game alive.

Helen

#59
Hello Relentless, glad you stopped by. Ya I like the classic DM as you've seen from the gameplay and maps. Also the guys here are respectable and keep it clean. The server population ebbs and flows, I'd say it is quiet times right now. Enjoy your time here.

P.S., game stats are here: //www.birdieman.com/stats
One of the Scriveners.