Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) And so {CG} was born... (Read 4942 times)
Hermskii
privatehook

And so {CG} was born...
Jul 11th, 2015 at 4:59am
Print Post  
Back in the old days the only real Redeemer Arena was called Schwantz's Redeemer Arena which is otherwise known as SRA. We had a ton of regs and a ton of maps but we weren't really getting any new blood (noobs) to fight against and we were getting tired of the same results with the same players night after night after night. Don't get me wrong. It was fun but after a couple years of nothing but the same people, it can get slow. Part of the issue was the large amount of custom downloads (Maps, Voices, Skins, Textures, Music, Sounds) on the server and back then, no one knew how to use redirects so they took FOREVER.

I asked Shwantz if he'd mind giving me a copy of the mod he was using. I told him I wanted to make a training grounds of sorts for noobs to learn on and then I'd send them to the slaughter house called SRA. He said sure and sent me the mod.

I built the server and used nothing but default maps so no one would have to download anything to play. They would get in instantly on their first try. I had a message that told the new players that if they could ever beat me, I'd direct them to the playing fields of the real Redeemer Arena pros. I told them that they would have to stress to me that it was a qualification round so I would know to try hard as I used to be pretty good back then but I didn't play every single round like a championship round. So they would say they were going for it and I would go for it too. So if you won, you knew and I knew that you won fair and square!

As people would beat me I would have them email me and I'd send them the name of the SRA Server and Forum. The plan was great and worked great except for two things. The first problem was that they would finally go to Schwantz's Redeemer Arena and they would get totally owned by the regulars there because they didn't ever play on many of the custom maps that Schwantz ran so they were at a huge disadvantage. That would cause problem number two which was they would all come running back home to CG with their bloody noses where they could continue to own all of the noobs.

Eventually, I started banning players who had beaten me to force them to continue their efforts on Schwantz's server but many had legit complaints being they were 56kers and the maps cycled so fast at the SRA server that they couldn't download the maps and additional files before it cycled and they'd get disconnected and not have any of the files that they had been downloading for 10 minutes. Others just hated that after finally making the grade they would get knocked back down to being a freshman on the SRA Server by the Senior players. They hated it so much that they refused to play there.

I removed the bans and just let everyone play at CG. Schwantz had started new work and wasn't wanting to keep the level of focus on his server that he had maintained over the past several years so he shut SRA down leaving CG with the torch for the time being. SRA has been back up a couple of times as Schwantz has had time and serveral other servers running this mod have come and gone over the years too.

To this day, I still think it was a great plan and had I known then what I know now, players like "Amtaham" would have been banned for good and the system would work well. I'd do it again but I too like Schwantz have more pressing matters being life in general so I'll leave my stuff the way it is for now. You new server admins might use this method though. The mystery of a greater place to play such a fun game will always draw in curious players hell bent on making it to the next level. Later!

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2015 at 4:08pm by Helen »  

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: And so {CG} was born...
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2015 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Hey that was a great story I enjoyed reading, I don't remember reading anything like that on your forum, so that was all fresh info for me.

I'd like to know if when SRA first shut down, if the regulars from there then starting going to CG, and if so, how did the noobs like that.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2015 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Yes, that is how {CMM} got its start - from SRA.
{CMM} was a direct descendant of SRA and CG using the same mod given to me from Hermskii.
It was mostly Helen's fault that {CMM} took a bit of a different direction and spin. Cheesy LOL
But anyway, Hermskii, see Helen's question above also. Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2015 at 5:59pm by Hook »  

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2015 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Hey Herm if I go to http://hermskii.com/, the images do not load.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Yeah that's pretty cool you thought of a niche for yourself and paved the way for something future, I love your 2k4 server btw.

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the delay...

There is actually a whole lot more to the story but I found that big part of it already done so i cut and pasted and modified just a little to at least get something here finally as you requested.

I appreciate having a spot here too so thank you very much!

You know... I don't recall the exact day when SRA closed shop. I know there are many pictures out there of many of us all standing on a space map shooting our deemer. We were all lined up for the picture and it was way cool and way sad too. I remember it was like a light switch turning off for me and the lights just instantly going out.
That last night we had the server maxed out as always and so a great many people who wanted to be there and deserved to be there didn't make the final pictures. I recall getting disconnected and I could never reconnect again. It was actually quite devastating for me because this group of players and that server meant so very much to me and everyone else I'm sure.

I had worried the day would come when it would all shut down and I never wanted the party to end. That was my hidden agenda reason for making {CG}. I wanted to make sure that if it all closed down one day I could possibly reproduce it and the party could continue on. I slowly, carefully and methodically copied SRA with my own branding. I did this with Schwantz's blessing too.

By the way "Amtaham" from my first post was "Mahatma" spelled backwards. He is in my opinion the best Redeemer Arena player from back then. he owned you but never rubbed it in. He was a real nice he/she/it who was half the reason for showing up and playing. The people were all great back then. Mahatma would keep getting into my practice server and I'd have to keep kicking him and others out to try to keep them at SRA.

I hope to dig out some more old history for you about the whole story. It will take time. I'll remind myself here and now to start with the part about the first redeemer only server that got me hooked on all of this type of play. It was a server called "Curious George's Redeemer Insanity" and it did not belong to me. I played on it and loved it for months and then one day it just shut down and went away. it was forever before i stumbled onto another redeemer arena server called "Schwatz's Redeemer Arena" . Yes, I did not not come of with the CG name. I stole it from someone who has used it and then shut down and went away. I never saw or heard from that person again and never new their name either. I even stole the name Hermskii from a guy named Hermski. I should point out I did not steal the names. I just used them or modified them and used them when the original people using them stopped using them. I actually came across the original Hermski again many years later. I'll have to find that post and post it here. it is a good one too! peace out!

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Well look what i just found! This reminds me of how much I have loved this game and my time with it and the people in it. I have been able to meet, reach out to, befriend and respect so many people in the world of UT because of this game and my attachment to it. When reading this link I have posted be careful to notice whether you are reading from me being "Hermskii" with 2 i's at the end or the actual original "Hermski" with only 1 little i at the end. Enjoy!

http://hermskii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3559&hilit=original+hermski

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
About the website. originally it was a pre-built fill it out yourself webpage I got with my 1st web-host. I moved it which broke tons of proprietary links and that broke everything. I am very weak with web stuff and html things so I honestly don't know how to fix it. I have been told I just need to replace and rename lots of links in the code and that will fix it but my intention is to just make another website that isn't prefab like this one was. It will contain all of the same info eventually and much more.

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I was sure the name thing would bring a bunch of replies. It was a big deal to me. To each their own I guess. I'm really just glad that I never kept changing mine every few years.

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2015 at 12:36am
Print Post  
I think it is time you changed your name. Change it to the name of your first motorbike Smiley

I didn't know what to say at first. I imagined my reply starting with "So... you stole a name... and the avator too!" lol.

Also one must tread lightly around one with such a fixation on the name.

No I did click the link and saw that the original hermski had "found" you back in 2013, so that was cool, you found the origins of your jester and whatnot. And he was cool with it too.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
The name "Hook" has been with me since about 1969 (my CB Radio Handle) - I am also glad I stuck with it - like Hermskii did too. Wink

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint