Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic some dude's downhill bicycle vacation - sweet (Read 2144 times)
Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

some dude's downhill bicycle vacation - sweet
Apr 10th, 2015 at 3:20am
Print Post  
This is actually enjoyable for me to watch Smiley
I gotta go there sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKyWii8RxqA

FF to about 13:20 if you just want to see a guy wipe out lol.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Re: some dude's downhill bicycle vacation - sweet
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Just to clarify is this "Some Old Dude's" vacation?  Huh Mountain Biking like that is alot of fun, I used to do it around here in NY but with less height obviously, blazing fast as can be through a winding trail through the woods and such, down huge embankments and so on. Absolutely gorgeous video footage and awesome wipeout at the end, I remember going about that far in the air off a jump ramp and bottoming out my shocks forcing myself over the handlebars, really makes me wanna get another bike lol, simply awesome video.

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
lol, no not "our" old dude.

The wipeout, what is cool is that you see the guy go over the handlebars, then he goes out of vision, then the camera guy goes around the bend, and then you see the guy landed 15 feet away from his bike!

Ok I have a story about my grand wipeout. This was probably '91 or '92. I was in a mountain bike race. It was only my second race, and I'd never done the circuit. It was a long circuit, so it was only two laps. Before the race we all had to do a slow "guide" lap, so we'd know where to go, because it wasn't a major race or anything so there were very few markers, you kinda had to follow the natural direction. Well I didn't really memorize it, I was just going to follow everyone else, right?

So one part of the trail was sort of a car path, then they put a log over it, and this log was about 2 feet in the air. This log told you to turn left off the path into a trail on the right. And oh, this log was right around a corner in the path. You can kinda imagine what's coming, eh?

So I start in the middle of the pack, just happy to race, and the first lap goes by and I'm feeling good. I'm going faster and I keep passing people, and no one is passing me (these were my courier days, I was fit). So I catch these two guys and pass them, but these guys stay on my wheel. Finally one guys gets dropped. I go faster. The last guy stays on my wheel. I have to "drop" him (get him off my wheel), because it is easier for someone to keep up with you if they manage to stay right on your wheel.

So I'm going faster. And he's going faster. And I was a stubborn guy back then so I am now going top speed, tongue lolling, eyes crazy, lungs burning. And he stayed right behind me. We were flying. And we were now on the car path. And now we're going around the corner...

In my anaerobic state I had totally forgotten about that log. The bike's momentum was halted. Mine was not. Weeeeeeeee...  I'm flying!

Well I got up, patted myself down and was ok, picked up the bike and it was ridable, so I hopped back on. Five minutes later I crossed the finish line in....  second place.

I'd forgotten all about that lol.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Hey at least you were able to pull a solid 2nd place out of it! After a wipeout like that id have expected probably 3rd or 4th! That's really cool, i've always enjoyed Mountain biking, i've got the Appalachian trail nearby but dont get there very often, the last Mtn Bike i had was a Fuji 27 speed with front and rear disc brakes, I was riding it across from my house in the woods over some pretty large stones and about 1.5 miles away it decided to shear right in half and I ended up carrying it the rest of the way out. Some really crappy welding job they did. But yeah when the wind is whipping and the air is crisp and clean, there isn't much that can compare.

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint