Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Home server only shows up in LAN servers (Read 15982 times)
Ultimate Member

Hello

Home server only shows up in LAN servers
Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Hi. I have been trying to start a homeserver.  I have tried Medors (whole server download), Hermskii's (download game again and use it as server)  , and Hooks (use your own game) instructions.  I slect dedicated server and the little icon goes to the right corner. No matter which way I try, my server only shows up in LAN servers. I want to be a public server. Every port under the sun is forwarded. Firewall is letting everything through. I have my remote server admin working. Webserver port number is 8888.  I can play on the server on any of my pc's no problem. I have "advertise my server" checked off. What the heck am I not doing?  Thanks

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: Home server only shows up in LAN servers
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 3:12am
Print Post  

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Thanks H.  I noticed in your attachment, the port forwarding was UDP/TCP. I was using just UDP. Anyway, tried it. No luck. Keep 'em coming!

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:11am
Print Post  
Im actually working on setting mine back up, make sure you set the checkbox for "Advertise Server" I believe its under admin email etc, before clicking to start it. Make sure you also dont select LAN server. If that doesnt work for you, ill be around during the day tomorrow/today so hopefully you can get it sorted out.

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks Rit.  I selected Advertise server and I have not selected Lan server.  Someone said something about being behind a NAT. I need to see what that is.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
I know there's a lot of posts out there and a lot of resolutions, meaning there's lots of little things to overcome. I think half the problems are specific to the router's brand, so when googling include your router name.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
H,
Funny you should mention that. I looked up my model Hitron CODA 4582 (With Rogers Internet) and it turns out in some cases you have to go wireless to get around NAT issues. So I tried that, no luck. But while wireless I was finally able to download and connect with the ACE 1e anticheat on my server. Usually I time out. Even worked when I hard wired again. The next thing to try in wireless is to see if my new computer (Win10) will download server files. It's hardwired and only downloads maybe 1-2 files at a time from any server I have tried. So I have been using an older PC to play UT.That was another post a while back.  Now that I think of it, maybe ACE worked because I forwarded 9 new ports, not because of wireless?  Lol.  I should just stick with my rental server from NFO or just play here!

UPDATE

Moved the wireless hardware to my new pc. It doesn't download files in wireless either...rats.

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
What ports do you currently have forwarded in your router and what are they for? Can you list them? Please also specify if they are udp\tcp or both. Also are you using two different copies of UT? Or are you loading the same copy of UT twice? Just a couple of questions to start, hit me back when you have some free time. No rush.

IP Logged

medor

Hello

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
TCP PORTS: 7777, 8080, 8777, 9777, 27900
UDP PORTS: 7777, 7778, 7779, 27900

Or you can make it demilitary zone.

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Hit Ritalin,
Here you go!

All ports are named UT99Server, (Maybe I need another name?)  I have the same port number in Public and Private (Not sure if they have to be in both), and the local IP address is the same for all. Did an ipconfig in cmd to get ipv4 ip.  Don't have ipv6.  Maybe I should use the public IP? I have tried using my stock UT for a server, then connecting with 3 pc's. I downloaded full servers and tried connecting with 3 pc's, and a 2nd copy of UT that I also tried connecting with 3 pc's.

TCP   8777,9777,8080
UDP  7778,7787,7757-7767,28900
TCP/UDP 7777,27900

Okay, just found this...I'm going to try it.

http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/setting-up-your-own-server-from-your-computer...

Nevermind ...didn't work.  Even with firewall turned off.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2017 at 2:06am by 21 »  

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 2:26am
Print Post  
do you have any 3rd party anti-virus / web utilities /  that are in the mix? Ive seen this before with other multiplayer games tho, do you happen to have MULTIPLE network adapters? When you go to network settings and choose change adapter settings, how many adapters are listed?

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Hi Rit,
So I turned off my anti-virus and firewall. Nothing changed. I also noticed I only have one network adapter to select. I removed the wireless hardware to try in the other pc.  Quite honestly I have spent too much time on this (4 days). Teuch said it was easy as he has 3 servers running on his pc.  It is, except for the fact I can't make the server public. Everything else is straight forward.  Just for fun, would you see if my server is listed on the UT servers tab?  The server is just called 21.  192.168.0.17:7759     Thanks!

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 3:38am
Print Post  
21 wrote on Feb 22nd, 2017 at 3:18am:
192.168.0.17:7759

That is an internal address, the outside world would not see that. Open google, search with "what is my ip", and your outside IP should be listed at the top of the results.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 4:59am
Print Post  
Yeah if your specifying an internal IP that would make perfect sense as to why your only showing on LAN. For what its worth NAT is what makes all this possible while maintaining a level of security on your network, all the machines in your household have internal or "local" addresses (LAN). All those addresses form a pipe to the outside network (WAN) Most people only have 1 address on the outside otherwise known as your Public IP. NAT takes all your LAN traffic destined for the internet and funnels it out based on ports to desired targets. Hopefully at the very least that will give you a basic understanding of how it functions & why it's important. Ch33r up bud, you'll get it solved.

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 6:48am
Print Post  
How do I change the internal ip on the server to an external ip?  Also, where the heck is the command line? I can't find it. My rental server has the command line right when you log in.
Thanks

IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Your External IP should automatically be "out there" - if it is getting out there through your router/modem.
One thing that seems to ring true with home-based UT servers (common) is that it usually does Not show up in your own home network - just the Lan does.
That is a "thing" that UT servers that are home based that just is, and does Not mean that your server isn't showing up for others in their browsers out on the net though - providing your Master Servers are up to date in the Server's ini.
My home based servers that I had up years back never showed up on my home system either, but they were showing up out on the net.
I found out through other UT server admins and gurus that that is very normal. Wink

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Okay thanks Hook.  So all my pc' will show up as LAN? I have 3 with UT GOTY on them.  I don't need a command line then?

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 1:08am
Print Post  
I'm done with home servers.  Too hard!!! I have read every single document, downloaded full servers, learned how to make a UCC batch file (wth!!) and spent the better part of 4 days up to 2 A.M.  My wife is like " you're doing this to save $9/month?" Point made...lol. Even Game Tracker couldn't find my server! Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going back to being a player. God Bless all you home server admins!  Cya

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 2:40am
Print Post  
Don't let it frustrate you OR control your life. & I'll say this for future reference if you decide @ some point your bored and just wanna do something different. In the past you helped me get my head on straight & go back to it @ a later time (with better success too!)

Hook is correct in the fact that most home setups do not show up in the master browser on their own setups, but they are visible via others (so you do appear in the list but not as far as you can see) For you to see your own server both internal and external you need external DNS. This can be achieved many different ways but it too has a cost (usually). For instance I have my own domain & did before when I was self hosting. My domain is Stellarsys.us (used to be stellarsys.net) but what I do, is I forward the requests from UT to my stellarsys.us DNS server and thus it appears outside as well. (If i don't, I will only see it in the LAN listing). Your issue with the server being seen outside the network is DNS related, that is a 100% guarantee. Your ISP provides their own DNS server along with what is called your public IP. Being that you only have 1 Public IP and it's for your internal network's requests, it makes PERFECT sense that you are only able to see it internally and not both like I had mine. So keep playing & later on maybe you find a DNS Server or decide to go full blown forum & you will have your cake & eat it too!  Wink Hope this helps or at the very least destress. Ch33rz bud Im rooting for ya.

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 4:52am
Print Post  
21 wrote on Feb 22nd, 2017 at 6:48am:
Also, where the heck is the command line?

This is how I start a server on my pc.

Start off with a new text file. Open it. Put this in it:
Code
Select All
START c:\UnrealTournament\system\UnrealTournament.exe DM-Liandri?game=Botpack.DeathMatchPlus?MaxPlayers=16?mutator=medToggle368.medToggle log=xxx.log -server 

(change the path to the UnrealTournament.exe if it is different on your PC).
(change the mutator=.... to what you want. Or remove the ?mutator=...)

Save and close the file. Name it what you want but change the extension to .bat
Double-click on the new bat file. Starts a server instance of UT, it is visible as an icon in the tray. You can right-click on the icon to see it's console.

This just starts the server via a bat file, it does not do anything to make it visible outside your network.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint