Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dodge Hack ? (Read 16719 times)
StivBators

Hello

Dodge Hack ?
Oct 19th, 2012 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Dodging 101: How to forward dodge while moving. step 1: Press foward key. the following needs to be done quickly and smoothly. step 2: press right or left strafe key then step 3: double tap forward key. I have been doing this for at least ten years. No HACKS no MACROS no PROGRAMMING.
When done correctly you look like you are always moving forward. Pretty basic stuff.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Re: Dodge Hack ?
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the description.  Should help clear up some confusion.  Good stuff!

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 12:51am
Print Post  
A variation of that (this is sort of what I do):

• First you are moving forward (I'll call this North), both with your forward key, and your mouse is pointing you directly North.
  • Then press the left strafe key, but KEEP the forward key down. At the same time, point your mouse NE. This effectively keeps you going North.
  • Momentarily lift finger off forward key, and quickly point mouse East (keeps you going North).
  • Lift left strafe, double tap forward, point mouse back North, all at same time.

That's the neat clean example that keeps you going in one direction. But I don't do this exactly when approaching someone. I try to approach them at 45° angle. So the key presses and timing are the same, it's just the direction I point the mouse varies so that I can vary my approach angle.

If your forward double tap is not natural, just practice  Smiley
Before I knew how forward tap, I could side tap pretty good, but I would more often than not lose a hammer battle to someone who could forward dodge. They would be able to point the hammer directly at me and dodge forward, whereas I had to dodge sideways into them and turn my mouse hopefully in the right direction to be forward on to them.

So, I practiced. Made myself just dodge forward for awhile. Now I'm a more natural forward tapper  Smiley

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Well good tips.  I'm still trying to figure out if dodging even makes a difference with lots of players. I get 1v1, but on any servers I have played, aim and connection were the most important.

IP Logged

Tempest

Hello

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I have an old Logitech Wingman gaming 3-button mouse that I use and have mapped the middle mouse to forward. Not sure if its easier or not, but I don't think I could switch to a wheelmouse.  Its old school but it works for me Smiley

Mouse 1 = Fire
Mouse 2 = Forward
Mouse 3 = Alt fire

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 3:59am
Print Post  
I had to look it up.  Makes more sense to me now.  So all other movements and weapons come from the keyboard?

IP Logged

Tempest

Hello

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 4:31am
Print Post  
Yep...i use the arrow keys for movement (up for jump) and then weapons around the arrow keys. ie, here's my weapons and movement from my User.ini file:

LeftMouse=Fire
RightMouse=AltFire
MiddleMouse=MoveForward
Enter=SwitchWeapon 1
Shift=Walking
Ctrl=Duck
Space=Talk
PageDown=getweapon ripper
End=getweapon UT_FlakCannon
Left=StrafeLeft
Up=DoubleJump|Jump
Right=StrafeRight
Down=MoveBackward
Insert=getweapon minigun2
Delete=getweapon ShockRifle | mutate getweapon zp_sh
Slash=ThrowWeapon
Backslash=getweapon ut_biorifle
Backspace=getweapon PulseGun
PageUp=getweapon UT_Eightball
home=SwitchWeapon 10

IP Logged

StivBators

Hello

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:35am:
I have an old Logitech Wingman gaming 3-button mouse 

Got any source for replacements ? Up until recently thats the same mouse I was using. See here: http://www.birdieman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1327175936

IP Logged

Tempest

Hello

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
http://www.amazon.com/Pat-Says-Now-Kitty-3-Button-Optical-Mouse/dp/B000K78PZU/re...

Just kidding Sad I haven't been able to find any at all...its a dying breed (much like myself) I suppose. When this mouse finally dies, I'll probably give up UT as I don't think I can learn on a wheel mouse.  Tongue

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
You would have the joy of being a newb again.

Pretty crazy movement combinations you got. I'll have to take advantage of that somehow...

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks. It's amazing how many different keyboard configs there are.

IP Logged

5L3V1N
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:35am:
I have an old Logitech Wingman gaming 3-button mouse that I use and have mapped the middle mouse to forward. Not sure if its easier or not, but I don't think I could switch to a wheelmouse.  Its old school but it works for me Smiley

Mouse 1 = Fire
Mouse 2 = Forward
Mouse 3 = Alt fire

That aint the one which is grey hand shaped with a weighted ball in it by chance?
Wow if it is excellent mouse, had one years ago 2000 i believe.  Grin

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote....

"When this mouse finally dies, I'll probably give up UT as I don't think I can learn on a wheel mouse."

How's are the retirement plans going?  Lol.  I think you're better with a new mouse.

IP Logged

relentless
YaBB Newbies

Hello

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 2:42am
Print Post  
I personally don't dodge, never have. I'm more of a straight ahead and fire guy. I like to see who is better at weapon selection and aim than one who dodges. Just like the teleporter thing, it reminds me of a fall back because one can't stand and fight, so they flee flipping away. For me dodging is like the guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark scene. The big Muslim swinging his sword and I'm Harrison Ford who pulls out his pistol and shoots him. All flash but with little results. Depending on which weapon you have in hand, it can easily be a disadvantage to dodge. My two cents.

IP Logged

Tempest

Hello

Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
21 wrote on Feb 24th, 2013 at 10:02pm:
Tempest wrote....

"When this mouse finally dies, I'll probably give up UT as I don't think I can learn on a wheel mouse."

How's are the retirement plans going?  Lol.  I think you're better with a new mouse.

Oh, actually Stiv sent me a link to a 3button mouse a while ago on ebay that I bought...been using it but its weird. It doesn't seem as responsive for some reason. Like, it accelerates at unexpected times, or its unresponsive when doing some things like looking up , or I'm getting mouse lag Sad  (I'm using direct input now so...acceleration shouldn't be an issue)

hmm...

IP Logged

Tempest

Hello

Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
relentless wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 2:42am:
I personally don't dodge, never have. I'm more of a straight ahead and fire guy. I like to see who is better at weapon selection and aim than one who dodges. Just like the teleporter thing, it reminds me of a fall back because one can't stand and fight, so they flee flipping away. For me dodging is like the guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark scene. The big Muslim swinging his sword and I'm Harrison Ford who pulls out his pistol and shoots him. All flash but with little results. Depending on which weapon you have in hand, it can easily be a disadvantage to dodge. My two cents.

I see your point but that's taking into account that you can get them before they can get you. I tend to play more "sneaky" and fight when I'm strong...run when I'm weak. Dodging helps me move and setup the fight so that I have the advantage given the weapon I'm using (when I'm not accidentally dodging into lava that is)  Grin

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 4:58am
Print Post  
So for the last couple of weeks I have been playing without much or any dodging.  While my movement is slower, my death(s) column is the same as when I dodge. I have won many times here and even laggy old FMJ without dodging.
I will say dodging looks cool, but once you get the timing down, you can kill a dodger when they land. Generally I do my best when my connection is quick, regardless if I double tap or not.  (One shot kills vs running out ammo).
My ultimate goal/test would be to see if I  can dominate 1v1 without dodging...if it's possible.

IP Logged

Tempest

Hello

Reply #17 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
21 wrote on Mar 29th, 2013 at 4:58am:
My ultimate goal/test would be to see if I  can dominate 1v1 without dodging...if it's possible.

i'd be up for a 1v1 Smiley

IP Logged

StivBators

Hello

Reply #18 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
If you guys 1v1 make demos and post them please  Smiley

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #19 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Yeah, then Stiv can make a movie. And he can make an alternate ending lol.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint