Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Different maps cause different results (Read 5126 times)
Ultimate Member

Hello

Different maps cause different results
Jan 26th, 2012 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Okay, so I have been noticing that on some maps I can kill with ease.  On other maps my ping will fluctuate like crazy and no matter what weapon I use I can't even frag a bot standing still.  What gives?  Keep in mind this happens on other servers too.
Good maps - Distinctive/Codex/Citizen
Bad maps - Doox/Agony/Compulsive

IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Re: Different maps cause different results
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Back when I played here the only thing I could never Kill was HELEN!

That is great input though so thanks for that. To actually name the maps rather than say some do and some don't.

This will help Helen figure out the issue much faster like maybe they all share a certain texture that is corrupt. Then this also opens other questions like does it happen to you on more than one video renderer. Do you know how to switch back and forth for testing that idea?

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Hi Hermskii,
Yes, thanks to all my fresh installs I know how to change the 3d renderer.  Right now I use open GL with Helens patch.  I used to use the basic recommended device but it wouldn't work on some servers.  I've been okay for some time now with my current setup. I just thought it was odd that my weapons would stop working on some maps.  I should also add that in some instances the bots move really fast. Like 125-140 % faster than normal.  Then they go back to regular speed.  If my ping was 150 and the other players had similar ping I would get it.  Just like when I play on Multiplay UK Servers from time to time.  Anyway I don't know if it can be fixed, so when it happens I will just camp and scare people...lol

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Agony? Really? Such a tiny map. How can that be? Doox... I just had a look at the map in the editor, there are no sheets to help break it down into zones. So maybe your video card needs help? (Like tweaking its settings). I can't explain Agony though. Compulsive... opening in editor... ah this has sheets to break down the zones, so that's good. And the brushes look simple enough. And according to map manager it doesn't have a custom texture package, so we can't blame the textures. So, I can't explain that one either.

I blame windows 7, that's my pet answer  Smiley

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:31am
Print Post  
Actually, all of that points me to look in several more directions. What kind of processor in your machine 21? AMD or Intel? Is it a single core or multicore processor? If it is a multicore processor, have you ever applied one of the multicore patches for UT to it? Some people need to and some people don't. Do you use any of the S3TC textures or any textures that are considered high resolution textures? What is your operating system? Win7? XP? Ubuntu? Please answer each question in a full sentence. Don't just say yes, no, no, no, I don't know, no and yes. LOL. Thanks. Does this problem only happen in online games or does it happen in practice sessions too? Does your PC ever just blue screen or reboot while you are in the middle of doing something with it? Would you drink tea with milk in it? What if the milk had ladybugs in it?

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Ya, I am not a tea or coffee guy.  So, if you like to eat bugs with your hot beverages, well who am I to tell you, that you can't.  After watching HBO and Showtime for many years, weird things don't seem so weird anymore.

Okay, I have a dual core Intel PC. 2.7 ghz plus 2.7 ghz.  2GB Of Ram, Nvidia 8400 500MB video card, high speed connection that has a ping speed test of 16 ms. My operating system is Windows 7.  My UT screen resolution is 1024 x 768.  I have not applied a UT dual core patch.  My problems only occur online, never in practice mode.  I also use Open GL, not the standard 3d3 renderer. My screen never blue screens, but in other servers I get MipMap errors sometimes and get booted.  Hope that helps!

IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 4:09am
Print Post  
It didn't. you stumped me at the fact it doesn't happen all of the time. This is not a laptop right? I have to suspect network firewall settings at this point. Do you have a software firewall or do use have a router? Please don't say you you use Norton Internet Security and you have it going through a router too. LOL. Not knocking Helen's renderer but could you try this one here:

http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/utglr36.zip

Let me know how it goes and good luck!

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

StivBators

Hello

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I pretty much averaged 116fps running around those maps offline. They are pretty much the same. Maybe online with different amount of players the maps with higher node count might slow down a bit. Just a guess .

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Node_Count

IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I can't recall why but if I recall it is normal to have fewer framerates when playing online. That used to bug me badly back in the old days.

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint