Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Portal Gun (Read 2078 times)
Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Portal Gun
Oct 1st, 2011 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Spotted this earlier today...
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=194613
...and downloaded it without giving it much thought.

I had one of the previous versions of the Portal Gun, which is a weapon mutator from the game Portals which I've never played. The concept is simple enough, for anyone that's ever read a Doctor Strange comic in the early 1970's or various other comicbook references I could supply.

The one I already had (PortalGunFTW) basically did this:

The one on the left is the 'in' the one on the right is the 'out'. Very fun gun, only lethal in creative telefrags or dropping a portal in somebody else's path and popping the exit way up high in the sky.

That and the portals look really cool!

I don't know what specifically gopostal was referring to in regards to server crashes...other than that. He didn't mention the specifics but ultimately that doesn't much matter. His version looks like this:

Not so cool looking but it works about the same.

Anyway, he wrote it as a .u file without an accompanying .int file, setting it up just for summons as he says in the included ReadMe. I've never written an .int for a .u before but if it's as easy as this was then I may have to do it more often.

Personally, I still prefer the one I had before but then I've never tried it on a server...though I have played with it on somebody or other's MonsterHunt server without any notable issues.

Enjoy!

Portal_Guns.zip ( 971 KB | Downloads )
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: Portal Gun
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2011 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
It's a neat idea.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Re: Portal Gun
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2011 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
It's a fun idea. Fun to play with too but I've largely just messed around with it a bit, haven't actively tried it in a game.

Y'know how you can't teleport when you're holding a flag? You open a portal next to the flag in the enemy base and one in yours and you can just wander back and forth between the two no problem.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint