Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) medToggle Version 2 (Read 45060 times)
Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

medToggle Version 2
May 28th, 2010 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Edited:
This thread covers medToggle210, the latest of Version 2. Please note that if you have not used medToggle before and would like to, that Version 3 is out, which is located here http://www.birdieman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1293484047. Thanks.

This mutator allows you to 'toggle' many different game settings per map.

Example - let's say that for the maps in your rotation, you mostly don't want the Translocator to be used, but you wish it could be turned on for just a couple of maps. Well, with this mutator, you can!

Another example - you could be mostly happy with the default Air Control of 35%, but for DM-Morpheus, you could set it to 100%! Or drop it to 5%, and watch everybody struggle getting back onto solid ground. This sure would stop those players who camp the weapons up top.

And another example - you could set the frag limit higher for tiny maps, and smaller for big maps.

Here are all the settings available to set per map:

Frag Limit Translocator       Weapon Stay
Max Team Score       Bot Skill Force Respawn
Game Speed Min Players Force Team Balance
Air Control Time Limit Friendly Fire
Gravity

There are 2 ways you can go about setting up this mutator. The much easier way is to use medMutatorEd. Please see this post for more info on medMutatorEd: http://www.birdieman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1275011847
(Note, at the moment, medMutatorEd only supports up to medToggle200, I will update it to support medToggle210 soon).

However if you want to do it manually, here is the package you need:
www.birdieman.com/downloads/medToggle210.zip

The help file is included in the package.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:53pm by Helen »  

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Re: medToggle200
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I am not sure how you set this up for individual maps.
Is it done in the UT Menu under the mutator tab or something?
Or can you do it in an ini file?

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
I'm guessing you downloaded the medToggle200.zip. If that is so, then yes, you have to do the editing in the medToggle.ini. And, it is not that easy! So also in the download package, you should see a HelensMutatorHelp.chm file. Just double-click this to open, and then click on the medToggle link in the tree on the left. This will have the help and directions what you need to do. Good luck!

Now there is another way. I knew that editing it manually wasn't easy, so I made an exe just for this purpose, called medMutatorEd. That is the in the related post I mention above. This is the much, much, MUCH easier way to set it up. The only drawbacks to this is that you have to have a windows OS (or at least wine), and you need to have the .net framework 3.5 installed (which is no big deal IMHO, but maybe too much of a pain for some, dunno). If you have windows, I would say give medMutatorEd a go. It also has a help file for the mutators, but the help this time is geared for medMutatorEd.

Let me know if you have any troubles, or if you want help with the ini, np I can help you set it up if you want, you just have to tell me what you need.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Well the Help file doesn't show anything - Page unavailable it says.
Link bad?
Maybe do an ini file as an example with say 2 or 3 maps set up!?!?
I understand the ini but I do not know what would be done to it to designate which maps to affect the settings.
Code
Select All
[medToggle200.medToggle]
bLogInfo=false
bLogErrors=false
DMTranslocator=false
TDMTranslocator=false
LMSTranslocator=false
ASTranslocator=false
CTFTranslocator=true
DOMTranslocator=true
cGameSpeed=1
cAirControl=0.35
cBotSkill=2
cMinPlayers=2
cFragLimit=30
TDMMaxTeamScore=100
CTFMaxTeamScore=5
DOMMaxTeamScore=100
cTimeLimit=20
cWeaponStay=true
cForceRespawn=false
cForceTeamBalance=true
cFriendlyFire=0 

=Hook=

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Hook wrote on Jun 9th, 2010 at 6:53pm:
Well the Help file doesn't show anything - Page unavailable it says.
Link bad?

Huh. The page is actually compiled into the file, it doesn't have to go to the internet. I know it works on my dev machine, plus another machine I tried it on. Grrrrrr. I would be curious what OS you have, and what version of IE you have (if you do).

Meanwhile, I have posted the help file at http://birdieman.com/mutator/medToggle.htm. It was already an html file so no big deal.

I'll provide an extra example here too. Let's say you wanted these settings:

(screenshot from medMutatorEd, hint hint). The line in the ini would look like:

cMap[0]=DM-Unit,true,1.1,0.88,7,3,55,4,true,false,true,0.6

The values are a bit whack, but I am trying to use values that are different from each other, so you relate what 'slot' they go into.

Try that.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
OK - Yes I see how to do it now!
It isn't real hard at all - Thanks! : )

[b]Now a couple of things...[/b]

[b]1)[/b] Could you add another slot to this mod that Alters Gravity for Each Map? (Like Bodens?)
That would be the icing on the cake!

[b]2)[/b] Note, the Frag Limit and Max Team Score share the same spot.
SO, How do you keep them separate for different game types on one server?
For instance...
Say you are playing DM in DM-Unit with a frag limit of 50 and then in mapvote you switch to TDM in DM-Unit.
will the team score be 50 then?
(I guess that would be OK though)

[b]3)[/b] Does this mod Over-Ride settings set say in MapVote, etc.?
Or do you use instead of Default settings elsewhere?

[b]4)[/b] Do you HAVE to have the default settings set to SOMETHING - or can you have nothing in the default settings?
(I am assuming that you MUST set them to Something for sure)

[b]5)[/b] What do the following 2 settings do?
bLogInfo=true
bLogErrors=true

[b]6)[/b] IF I don't want to use it in a Command Line, can I add it as a ServerActor? Such as...
ServerActors=medToggle200.medToggle

[b]7)[/b] So adding maps to the ini file would look like this as follows?...
(no space between defaults and map sections?)

bLogInfo=false
bLogErrors=false
DMTranslocator=false
TDMTranslocator=false
LMSTranslocator=false
ASTranslocator=false
CTFTranslocator=false
DOMTranslocator=false
cGameSpeed=1.04
cAirControl=0.55
cBotSkill=2
cMinPlayers=5
cFragLimit=30
TDMMaxTeamScore=100
CTFMaxTeamScore=5
DOMMaxTeamScore=100
cTimeLimit=13
cWeaponStay=true
cForceRespawn=true
cForceTeamBalance=true
cFriendlyFire=0
cMap[0]=DM-Crane,,,,4,7
cMap[1]=DM-DarkCity][,,,,4,7
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2010 at 6:42pm by Hook »  

=Hook=

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 4:15am
Print Post  
Holy moly! I appreciate the feedback.

1) Yes, that would be a good one. I can try that is. I've only done a couple mods. Each time I started one I didn't know how to do it, but got it done, haha. LowGrav would be a good addition. So I looked up "Boden's" and I see he has done basically the same thing! Looks like just a couple of minor (and obvious) differences between ours. One not obvious thing is that mine can handle up to 255 maps. I'll have to add that to the readme.

2) Good point. I will have to provide a spot for both frag limit and team score. I didn't think about a single map name being reused for two different game types.

3) I need more info here. I am not too familiar with mapvote, and I am not quite sure what you are asking. I'm guessing you are saying that with map vote, you can specify one of the settings that is also changed by medToggle. So if both mutators are trying to set it, which value will get used? Good question. It could just as simple as specifying the order of the mutators in the command line. Well hey instead of me thinking out loud here, how about you post a link to the mapvote mutator you are using, and I can grab it and test and see for myself.

4) I'll keep it simple and say yes.

5) They write text to the console log if set to true. bLogInfo will be very handy at first, it tells you what defaults you have set, the map name it is going to look for, if it finds it, and what custom values it found for the map. It just helps you get your settings right when first setting up. If you find it is not working at all, you can set bLogErrors to true and see if that tells you anything.

6) I checked this out and no. It half works. I believe with ServerActors that no code gets sent to client, so probably some of the settings need to be sent to the client and others don't, so that is why some work.

7) Yes that looks good. I never tried it with a space, but just go without it.

And just a bit more info. If you accidentally add an invalid value for one of the settings, it won't be used because there is internal checking. So if you accidentally set game speed to 200, internally it would say "nope" and just provide a basic value (like 1 in this case).

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
3) I need more info here. I am not too familiar with mapvote...
Check it out here - Download available there also - my forums. (MapVoteLA13 specifically)
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/mapvotela13-mapvote-explained-t832.html

6) I checked this out and no. It half works...
OK - we need to find out How to run this mutator without using a command line.
You can see my reasons in my Server How To's section.
Maybe Add it into Mapvote? or? ActorCLP?

=Hook=

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Hook wrote on Jun 11th, 2010 at 5:38pm:
6) OK - we need to find out How to run this mutator without using a command line.

Could you point out the topic/post exactly? There are a lot of topics there.

6) Maybe Add it into Mapvote?

Hmm, this might be a way to start it, but wouldn't the users have to select it? It wouldn't be very transparent as to what it's doing either. When someone selects Instagib, they know what they're getting. If the choice was medToggle, what the heck would that mean to the user! Because it would have so many settings. Well, maybe this will make sense to me when I check out mapvote tonite, but if you have any more info here how you thought you would be using it would be great.

6) ActorCLP?

Aha, this looks promising (I just looked it up). This will be the first thing I try. I should be able to get to this one at least tonite.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2010 at 2:32am by Helen »  

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Hook wrote on Today at 12:38pm:
6) OK - we need to find out How to run this mutator without using a command line.

Could you point out the topic/post exactly? There's are a lot of topics there.
Well, it is no matter - it is just that one very knowledgeable server admin and coder preaches to FIRST, leave the command line AS IS in a rental server.
I am pretty server savvy myself having ran them since 2000 or so and rentals within the last few years and this seems to ring true as to what he told me and others.
THEN, have ActorCLP load in MapVote only.
THEN have MapVote load in all your mods/mutes as needed.
If you have mutators that are server side only, and run for ALL maps and game types, add them as server actors in the ut ini. if possible.

===============================
6) Maybe Add it into Mapvote?

Hmm, this might be a way to start it, but wouldn't the users have to select it? It wouldn't be very transparent as to what it's doing either. When someone selects Instagib, they know what they're getting. If the choice was medToggle, what the heck would that mean to the user! Because it would have so many settings. Well, maybe this will make sense to me when I check out mapvote tonite, but if you have any more info here how you thought you would be using it would be great.
Users wouldn't select it - they only select Game Types like CTF or TDM or whatever.
You can add in mutators that run for each game type you add - they run behind the scenes.

====================

6) ActorCLP?

Aha, this looks promising (I just looked it up). This will be the first thing I try. I should be able to get to this one at least tonite.

Yes, it may work, but ActorCLP MAY not work with MapVote, as the server may not use ActorCLP when MapVote switches things after voting - not sure though.
I am thinking that mapvote MAY be the best place as medToggle200 would for sure run for Each Game Type selected in MapVote.

PS: sorry for my "mess" here - getting tired and un-organized! : )

=Hook=

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I tried using mapvote to start it, since that looks like what you'd prefer. Basically, it works. Yes mapvote started it, and yes all the medToggle settings were used. But there is a little extra work you are going to have to do though in MapVoteLA.ini.

This first one, you may know this already, but I didn't, so I had to figure this out. Ok, getting it to start using a CustomGameConfig line was easy. For example

Code
Select All
CustomGameConfig[0]=(bEnabled=True,GameClass="Botpack.DeathMatchPlus",NewPrefix="MDM",Mutators="medToggle200.medToggle",Settings="")

But I wanted it to start for the regular game types too. So what gets this to work is having these 2 lines for example to handle one of the regular game types (take note of what the NewPrefix is!):

Code
Select All
bDM=False
CustomGameConfig[0]=(bEnabled=True,GameClass="Botpack.DeathMatchPlus",NewPrefix="DM",Mutators="medToggle200.medToggle",Settings="")

Ok that's one thing. The second thing is, in order for your DEFAULT settings to be used, you are going to have to either
- include medToggle as a mutator for every single game type, or
- utilize the MapVoteLA.ini config line where you can specify default settings.

Here's a scenario why this is needed. Let's say your default preference for Translocator is false. The players then vote for a map that will start medToggle, and for this map, medToggle had been told to set Translocator = true. All good. Then the map ends. Then the players vote for a map where medToggle will not be started. But then the Translocator is still stuck on True, because nothing told it to set it back. So again, either medToggle is included for each game type, so it will handle resetting defaults, or, you can set up that [DefaultSettings] config line in the MapVoteLA.ini. Note, I didn't actually try this DefaultSettings thing, I am just trusting it works.

Ok I have some time to take a peek at the coding changes I need to do.

P.S., fixed my smilies   Grin

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: medToggle
Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Ok, the first post above has the link to medToggle210.
- Max Team Score and Frag Limit now have their own spots per map.
- added Gravity.
- added a txt help file since the chm doesn't work for everybody.
- in the help file I specify what values are valid for each setting.

The link to the help file above has the updated info.

Let me know if you have any troubles.  Cool

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 2:40am
Print Post  
Hook, I should mention, if you put these 2 files in your system folder, you don't need them anymore, they are the old version:

medToggle200.int
medToggle200.u

But keep the medToggle.ini, just open it up, and change the very first line to be:

[medToggle210.medToggle]

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Helen wrote on Jun 13th, 2010 at 2:40am:
Hook, I should mention, if you put these 2 files in your system folder, you don't need them anymore, they are the old version:

medToggle200.int
medToggle200.u

But keep the medToggle.ini, just open it up, and change the very first line to be:

[medToggle210.medToggle]

Yep, Ah so!
I also have to change any Map Lines that I added to reflect the New 210 version!

Isn't learning MapVote FUN? Cheesy
All you added (above) about MapVote ini settings are what is needed to be done.
Yes, the Default Gametype lines should be False if you do Any altering of things in the (see code below) lines like the DM example you gave.
Code
Select All
bDM=False
CustomGameConfig[0]=(bEnabled=True,GameClass="Botpack.DeathMatchPlus",NewPrefix="DM",Mutators="medToggle200.medToggle",Settings="") 

As far as the DefaultSettings line is concerned, I do not know IF this line can handle mutators or not - Never tried it.
I know settings can be put there (default settings), but I have never tried Mutators there nor have I heard of using them in that line.
I think it is Only for Default Settings though. Wink

This is something I have been looking for, for several months now - the 210 version! Smiley
Thank you!!!
I will be testing it as soon as I can - when I get time Tongue - I'll be back with my results!

PS: Let's keep this mod a secret - At LEAST until we get it all tested and running!
(Keeps the Competition at bay!) Cheesy
They will be Wondering HOW/What we are using to adjust all those things on a map-by-map basis! LOL
And with more than 50 maps!

=Hook=

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Hook wrote on Jun 14th, 2010 at 6:10pm:
As far as the DefaultSettings line is concerned, I do not know IF this line can handle mutators or not - Never tried it.
I know settings can be put there (default settings), but I have never tried Mutators there nor have I heard of using them in that line.
I think it is Only for Default Settings though. Wink

I'll clarify what I meant here, but then I'll tell you not to do it anyways. I didn't mean to put the mutator in the DefaultSettings line. What we have is two mutators who can change the very same settings, the medToggle, and the MapVote. So on the one hand you could have medToggle tweaking settings, and then to get things back to normal, you could set up the DefaultSettings exactly as described in the MapVote readme (nothing to do with medToggle).

But anyways, don't use the DefaultSettings, because we don't know the order that things will happen. medToggle could run and tweak settings, and then the DefaultSettings could set them back. So yeah, I would add medToggle to each game type, so that it is the one responsible for setting things back to default.

Hook wrote on Jun 14th, 2010 at 6:10pm:
PS: Let's keep this mod a secret - At LEAST until we get it all tested and running!

I'm not exactly getting a million hits a day so I think the secret is safe  Grin

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Helen wrote on Jun 15th, 2010 at 3:02am:
But anyways, don't use the DefaultSettings, because we don't know the order that things will happen. medToggle could run and tweak settings, and then the DefaultSettings could set them back. So yeah, I would add medToggle to each game type, so that it is the one responsible for setting things back to default.

Hey, exactly as I thought to do it! Wink

The True beauty of this mod is being able to set these 2 settings...
BotSkill and Gravity
And, doing it PER EACH Map (up to 256 maps anyway) - but that is still a lot.
Any other settings can be added VIA MapVote if needed.
I can't think of any other settings off hand to add to this mod - and maybe best not, as it would get too difficult with a bunch of settings or any more settings than it already has. Cheesy

=Hook=

IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Just a note...
I am still planning to add this mod into my servers.
It will take a bit of doing so I am waiting for the time I am able to do the transition.
I'll report as to how it is working when I get it done. Wink

=Hook=

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #17 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 4:48am
Print Post  
For sure.

I'm curious why you didn't want to use the medMutatorEd to help you set up the ini? Non-windows OS?

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #18 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
At home I run Win ME.
I am Not sure about this...
Quote:
medMutatorEd requires Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to be installed on your PC.

NET Framework 3.5 SP1 - What is it? Huh

I set this up when I was Not at home. (this time)

Also, I am pretty comfortable and also used to messing with ini files, etc. Wink

=Hook=

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Hook wrote on Jun 24th, 2010 at 5:40pm:
At home I run Win ME.

Wowwwww Shocked 

Ok, don't worry about it, I don't know if the .NET framework would work on ME, but I'm guessing not.

This is a lousy definition, but the .NET framework is sort of like a pre-package of dlls you need to install, before you can use a program that was coded against it (like medMutatorEd is).

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint