OpenGL as your renderer for UT

Started by Helen, Jul 28, 2011, 09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helen

You can choose which renderer to use for UT. The default is D3D. An alternative is OpenGL. You will find the opinion as to which is better to be split down the middle.

IMO, OpenGL is better. It is smoother and brighter. If you want to try it, follow these steps.

A. The basic install of UT comes with an OpenGLDrv.dll, but it is not the lastest, so we won't use it. Go to your UnrealTournament/System folder, find the OpenGLDrv.dll file, and rename it something like OpenGLDrv.dll.ORIGINAL

B. Download this version of the dll: http://www.birdieman.com/downloads/utOpenGL36.rar, unzip it and put it into the UnrealTournament/System directory.

(you need to write down this next step because you have to go open UT now. After this step you will be able to read this again)

C. Start UT. From the menu choose Options/Preferences. The very first option is Video Driver, and there is a button that says "Change". Click this button. This will give you a message "This option will restart Unreal now, and enable you to change your video driver. Do you want to do this?". Click Yes.

D. This will open a UT window. Find the option that says "Show All Devices", and click it. This should add more items to the list to choose.

E. From the list, choose "OpenGL Support", and then click Next, then Next again, and finally Run.

You are done. If you don't like it, you can basically follow the above steps to change it back.
One of the Scriveners.

Helen

I'm curious what you have set for "Min Desired Framerate" ?

I have mine at 150.
One of the Scriveners.

medor

#2
The opengl 37 is here http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=Video_Renders/OpenGL/&file=utglr37.zip

For FrameRate you must set like the monitor ...if you don't no you set it to 60
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
MinDesiredFrameRate=75.0



but you must set a max
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
FrameRateLimit=190


here one set

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
UseVSync=False
FrameRateLimit=190
Translucency=False
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=False
FastTranslucency=1
VertexLighting=0
UseTNT=False
Translucency=1
UseVertexSpecular=1
UseTrilinear=False
UseS3TC=True
LODBias=0.000000
MaxAnisotropy=16
SupportsLazyTextures=1
GammaOffset=0.420000
NumAASamples=8
UseAA=True
SwapInterval=0
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
UseSSE=2
AAFilterHint=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
NoFiltering=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseAlphaPalette=True
UsePrecache=True
AlwaysMipmap=True
ShareLists=True
UseMultiTexture=True
MaskedTextureHack=False
MaxTMUnits=0

Helen

Quote from: 454D4C475A454D4C475A280The opengl 37 is here http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=Video_Renders/OpenGL/&f...
For sure, thanks for link. If your O/S is actually Windows ME or earlier though, use the 36 version. The fella noted on his site that due to the way he compiled 37, it would only work on Windows 2000 or later.

Quote from: 454D4C475A454D4C475A280For FrameRate you must set like the monitor ...if you don't no you set it to 60
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
MinDesiredFrameRate=75.0
Curious, and sad at the same time. Sad because I thought by asking my comp to draw more frames per second, I would have a smoother visual experience. But I'll try it out and see if my eyeballs can detect any difference.

Quote from: 454D4C475A454D4C475A280but you must set a max
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
FrameRateLimit=190
Also curious if you know the reason why for this.
One of the Scriveners.

medor

#4
QuoteCurious, and sad at the same time. Sad because I thought by asking my comp to draw more frames per second, I would have a smoother visual experience. But I'll try it out and see if my eyeballs can detect any difference.

I think the eyes is between 30 and 80.

QuoteAlso curious if you know the reason why for this. 190

Is the limit that I set by experience with the release of the first processors multibody. For the player not being too fast while keeping an optimal speed.

QuoteI don't have all those settings under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]  I just have

you can edit ans past mine over

Or if you want I'm files for that.
An archive with a save standard ini's and a save warconfig ini's.  http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=UT_Demo/&file=WarConfig.rar

QuoteDisregard, doesn't work, I tried to start Unreal again and the Title screen was huge with and moved to the top right corner I couldn't get to the options or anything to change resolution, reverted back to D3d.

For that you can change the resolution before launching UT.
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
FullscreenViewportX=800
FullscreenViewportY=600

or set it like the monitor


I am French should not hesitate to make me repeat if you have trouble understanding what I write

medor

Quote from: 7E7079797067150Yes, thanks for the reply, but still no luck. I am forced to use compatibility mode because i have 64bit win 7 ultimate so I can't force the resolution, can only use 1024*1024 


UT works very well in seven 64.
Probably the dirver graphics card and an automatic adaptation of the resolution.
Look to disable it.

To be sure it is not your UT. you can just download mine here. http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7

Hermskii

If that doesn't work PM me KELLER. I am the master of OpenGL. OK ok. Not the master but I'm real good at setting it up for people.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Helen

You don't fool me, you know what's going on, you're just finding a way to innocently show off your wife! lol.

Ok I'll play along. I would say you have "hide known extensions" turned on in windows, which includes "exe", "ini", etc. The file you want is the one that is two lines below the selected one in your pic.
One of the Scriveners.

Helen

I would guess that after reverting to the 'smaller' list of OpenGL, you would still had to have gone into UnrealTournament.ini and set these 2:
FullscreenViewportX=800
FullscreenViewportY=600

back to something reasonable.

Another stab in the dark is - can you run in XP compatible mode?

Maybe Herm might be able to help.
One of the Scriveners.

medor

#9
Quotethen changed back to direct 3d and everything was fine

In this case you can put you in d3d11 because you have the dll to come with seven.

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=Video_Renders/D3D11/&file=d3d11drv-v1.zip

go to unrealtournament .ini and add this section

[D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice]
UseVSync=False
SwapInterval=0
ZRangeHack=False
NoAATiles=False
NumAASamples=8
UseAA=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
MaskedTextureHack=False
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
FrameRateLimit=190
UseVertexProgram=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=False
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=False
UsePalette=False
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.100000
LODBias=0.000000
DetailTextures=False
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=False
Coronas=False
ShinySurfaces=False
VolumetricLighting=False


and edit this section to d3d11
[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice

medor

#10
Quote from: 79777E7E7760120SOrry, did not work. I will stick with what I know. Just messes things up more trying other things. 

I think you make the wrong changes.

Just install my UT it is made for beginners.Already in opengl and can also select the D3D9.

Tried first in seven normal, no old affinity.

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=UT_Demo/&file=UnrealTournament-V3.exe

Helen

While in a map, tap the F11 key, it will cycle through the brightness levels.
One of the Scriveners.

Hermskii

Tehehe and you don't even have the S3TC textures installed yet. "As good as it is going to get"? Not!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Helen

Was there any trick you could share? Like what were you missing on the previous attempts that got it working on the last attempt?

One of the Scriveners.

magnum45

i'll try GL like in the quake days lol. I got the latest renderers including the d3d10... For what it's worth it appears to give the best visuals if your video card supports d3d10. In the readme it state's non Intel integrated graphics but it works on my Intel HD... Noted -> a performance drop of about 40%.  D3d11 has bloom effect but an even bigger hit but stunning visuals... i'll give gl 37 a try

medor

Apart from the heat of the image.It is more a question of settings.
If you really want to compare must be the same settings in your ini for d3d.. and opengl.

Helen

My settings as requested by Naab.
I use version 36.
My OS is WinXP, SP3

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
AAFilterHint=0
AlwaysMipmap=True
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
BufferClippedActorTris=False
BufferTileQuads=False
CacheStaticMaps=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
Coronas=False
DescFlags=0
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=0
DetailTextures=True
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
FrameRateLimit=60
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.25000
HighDetailActors=True
LODBias=0.000000
MaskedTextureHack=True
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
MaxTMUnits=0
MinLogTextureSize=0
NoFiltering=False
NoMaskedS3TC=False
NumAASamples=4
OneXBlending=True
RefreshRate=60
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
ShareLists=False
ShinySurfaces=true
SinglePassDetail=True
SinglePassFog=False
SwapInterval=1
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
Translucency=True
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
Use16BitTextures=False
UseAA=true
UseAlphaPalette=False
UseBGRATextures=True
UseCVA=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UsePrecache=True
UseS3TC=False
UseSSE=True
UseSSE2=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseTexPool=True
UseTNT=False
UseTrilinear=True
UseTruForm=False
UseVertexProgram=False
UseZTrick=False
VolumetricLighting=False
ZRangeHack=False
NoAATiles=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SceneNodeHack=True
UseFragmentProgram=False
Description=
One of the Scriveners.