Videocard?T

Started by 21, Aug 18, 2012, 12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21

Hi guys,
By accident I think I might solved my lag issue. I have been at the cottage using my laptop through an Iphone and Even with 200 ping my weapons are better than at home with 50ping.  I think the difference is the videocard. My home card is Nvidia 8500gt running at 450 mhz and 512 mb memory.  My laptop has Nvidia Cuda 310 with 600 mhz and 512 mb memory. Could I be on to something or am I drinking too much at the cottage? Oops,almost forgot,my pc has a dual core processor and my laptop has an I3.

Helen

I'm not a video card connaisseur, probably because mine just works great, so I never had to do a lot of research. I have a GeForce 8800 GTS 512, my CPU is an AMD 64X2 Dual, Core Processor 6000+, 3 GHz. OS is XP SP3. Also in UT my driver is openGL V36. This combo has given me super duper video performance, no complaints.

At work I've had a new laptop for about 5 months. It has 16G of RAM, lol. When I got it I thought UT would be good on it, but it stutters worse than my older work laptop. Just yesterday, towards the end of the day, I discovered its power option was set to 'balanced'. So I changed it to 'High Performance'. Can't wait til monday noon to see if this resolves the jitter!
One of the Scriveners.

21

I hope that a new videocard works better. My duo core runs at 2.7 ghz. I always assumed it was the connection/server. But now I'm curious.I'm going to check the specs on your card.

21

Okay your card is also around 600 mhz. I really think thats the difference (mine is 450).  Another thing, I use Windows 7 and my Ut compatibility mode is set for windows 98 as that mode seems to work the best.

Hook

Man, to run UT99 on new machines is really overkill.
You should not have any performance problems.
I run UT99 on both an old 2000 PIII with 128 MB ram - and also on a new machine I just bought in March running Win7 - both run UT99 flawlessly.
Actually, my new machine runs it in 1080p HD wide screen just beautifully!
UT99 draws very little resources. ;)
[size=14]=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net[/size]
[size=12]Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777[/size]

Hermskii

I can run UT on a Pentium I 133mhz with a 16 mb voodoo card just fine. Everything beyond that is overkill. Your system is not your issue at all. Possibly drivers yes but the hardware no.
~Peace~

Hermskii

21

Well, unfortunately I can't stop it from playing slow, or fragmenting, or players moving large distances without dodging.  It's like my game runs at 80 percent of normal speed.  It runs even worse on servers with ACE. Here is a list of recent things tried...

New modem, new dedicated cable line to the modem, new gaming mouse, swapped video card, turn off one core before playing, play in 640 x480 mode, set fps to match lcd screen specs,tried different compatibility modes, and changed to Open GL 3.6. 

The only time I can play well (move and shoot quickly) is when I re-install  or play practice mode.

21

Hermskii,
What drivers are you thinking about? Hardware or game drivers?

Hermskii

Everything. Have you read my how to manual yet at www.hermskii.com ? Give it a look see. Somewhere in the first few chapters is a tweak guide that woks well. We already covered all of this haven't we?
~Peace~

Hermskii

21

Hey Hermskii,
Good manual. You put a lot of work in it. Yes, we have covered this but it's still slow for me.  If and when it's fixed I will post my miracle discovery.  Anyway, my next thing is I did 3 more speed-tests.  Turns out I'm averaging 14 mb down and 1 mb up.  My cable company is supposed to be giving me 28 down and they are promising an increase. I did the fps in the start movie and I have 148 fps average. But when playing tonight I had 80 fps avg.  Not sure why.  I may have to just reload the game every couple of months.  That always works for a while.

Helen

Attach your unrealtournament.log file to this thread. You never know, maybe we can find an answer in there. Probably not but at least it's something I can do.
One of the Scriveners.

21

Okay, this morning I changed my computer to work for better performance, changed netspeed back to 20000 and I turned off v-sync.  It seemed much faster.  In fact my fps on Helen's and FMJ servers was around 150.  Usually they are half that.  Against bots my weapons were good. I will check it against other players and see how it goes.

Helen, I tried copying and pasting my log folder here but it wouldn't work. 

Helen

Skip the log, likely not the issue. The whole thing was probably changing your computer to "work for better performance". (Wouldn't mind knowing what that involved).

Please do reduce that netspeed though. At least experiment. You'll probably want to start reducing it once you play more players.

Good news about the results though!
One of the Scriveners.


StivBators

#14
"And try this settings http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=UT_Demo/&file=WarConfig... "

Some of those settings look a little strange.Under opengl  UseSSE=2, shouldn't that be 0 or 1 ? And under d3drenderdevice there are two entries for UseVSync, one set to true and one set to false ! Confusing no ?
I will also question having volumetric lighting off but shiny surfaces on, with volumetric on you can see the damage amp glow and flag carrier glow, most of todays video cards can handle this extra load.  Just a quick look and these stand out to me, wonder what else is wonky !? Please correct me if I'm wrong.