Unreal Netcode!

Started by RiTALiN, Sep 27, 2017, 01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiTALiN

Ok so now after playing more than a few matches on different servers around the world and different styles I've reached a point where I need more information. I have questions regarding Old UT Netcode vs what is called "NewNet"

On servers with old netcode (Such as The Isle Of Helen) when my ping is above 100 (usually about 150-180) I have very little problems making the adjustments when shooting and making predictions on movement.

On servers with new netcode (Such as Teuch's Power of Deathmatch) Same ping but "NewNet" code, I find myself struggling almost constantly to correct my accuracy and get very frustrated due to missed shots and visual lag.

As far as I know and have read NewNet is supposed to be better for high ping players however all I notice is more discrepancy regarding actual player location and the supposed ping compensation fixes just end up screwing me up more. If I already know my ping is high I can automatically adjust with old netcode, with the newnet it becomes almost impossible. Newnet is NOT bringing my ping into a more equal range like a lot of people claim. Does anyone else have some experience with this? Can anyone provide me with actual guaranteed documentation for exactly how these changes are supposed to work? I feel like newnet is one big cheap lie. What are your experiences with it? How does it work for you? Just figured I'd ask you guys because you've all played longer than me and are obviously more experienced. Any idea's and documentation may help. For what it's worth I already have the readme's associated with NewNet. I've strangely had less issues with ZeroPing tho.
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.

medor

Two possibility

bad player sitting
bad server sitting

bad player sitting
*most important for the player is ave a reasonable fraps limit and refresh rate
*Try with my UT

bad server sitting
*old or new code need a specific separate tickrate setting.(with a fix ticrate for windows servers)
*other side they need ACE for help bad seetings player to run at the right speed.

Newnet
*give you 0 lag movement
if you fire right the player you hit him but as the ping is high as you ave the visual effect delayed ...   but it's instant hit for the other player.


Newnet is just excellent for me.

medor

#2
Quote
On servers with new netcode (Such as Teuch's Power of Deathmatch) Same ping but "NewNet" code, I find myself struggling almost constantly to correct my accuracy and get very frustrated due to missed shots and visual lag.

i just remember Teuch say me he ave recently forgat to allow he's servers in the firewall or ant-virus.
and this ave make lag for him.

i can say to i ave play on it with him but no lag for me and my settings  :P

21

I love NN when I play against someone with similar ping.  Headshot city! I know you don't lead in NN, its just aim at the target. But I have serious lag issues when I am much lower or much higher in ping than the other player(s). In fact I feel laggier. An example would be dying before I see the weapon fired at me. I will die then see someone shoot me with a shock ball as I lay on the ground.  Or being really far around a corner and I get shot with a rifle at a different angle. I also find players are really floaty.  I think overall North Americans hate it and the rest of the world loves it.  I have it as an option (Ultimate NN 0_9_2 Beta)on my server to attract higher ping players. But I agree with Ritalin that would rather play with lag and lead with my aim.   

RiTALiN

Quote from: 666E6F6479666E6F64790B0i can say to i ave play on it with him but no lag for me and my settings
From what I have seen and experienced so far that doesn't surprise me, yours & teuch's ping should be very similar being that your both in France, however when I play on NN servers where I am still at such a ping disadvantage it's not smooth, it's out of sync and there is a lot of visual lag that makes the mind get distracted. I have had good success with NN vs 21 where there is less of a ping difference. I played with Teuch on his exotic server which runs the old code but with ZeroPing, wasn't anywhere near as smooth as i'd like but there is such an immense difference in ping between us.
Teuch: 14ms
RiTALiN: 185ms

still had fun tho and that's what matters, I'm just really wondering why everyone goes so crazy over this stuff while it's just a bunch of ugly "Visceral Hack's to an otherwise 'Working' engine". 
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.

Helen

I would rather play without it than with. That way I can make my own decisions on what to adjust. When you have code that is adjusting things for you, that makes it worse IMO.
One of the Scriveners.

21

I'm just really wondering why everyone goes so crazy over this stuff while it's just a bunch of ugly "Visceral Hack's to an otherwise 'Working' engine". 

Well said!  I keep going back and forth on it. The admin side of me wants everyone to have a lagfree experience.  The player side is like "Dude, just play on a server closer to home if it's too laggy!". I just checked my vote history, and most players pick just regular DM, without Lag Comensation. Maybe I will kick NN and add another game....hmmmm...lol.

medor

#7
I respect all your feelings. That is why I do not take up the debate.

My opinion is simple.
I ave play years and years since around 20 years.
My start at 28k  :-?

In the past i always lag and on day come zp.  :D
This will be just excellent below 100 ping.
At this period i play insta and sniperarena under team and ClanBase contest..(it was the passage from night to day , i could finally make head shots).

I found this newnet with the same enthusiasm come the zp.
Now i ave correct accurate after 100 ping and make a decent work until 250.

Newnet allow players to play euro with us.
Newnet allow to play with the future new players coming from japan, india......
We play today with us on pugs ... this is a an important part of the future for UT.

All servers pugs are under newnet today.These are the most demanding and experienced players.



If you can change the tittle Unreal Netcode! for may be UnrealTournament Netcode ?

21

"All servers pugs are under newnet today.These are the most demanding and experienced players."

That's also a good point.  I think many of us love/hate Newnet.  When I use it on my server with ACE 1e,  I can move faster and hits are recognized better. When I play on Ultimate servers in India, I can barely move and I have trouble identifying where players actually are.  Yet it's the same NN (Ultimate NN 0_9_2).  Weird eh?   What am I missing to make gameplay better?   Thanks....


vankuss

play with your own people, that's the only advice in here
i tried a few servers when zeroping and newnet became the "new thing" and i hated how weird it was
but i'm pretty sure it's all just about getting used to it

21

Okay, I have reloaded Ultimate NN 0.9.2 beta and ACE 10e.  Ritalin, I know you had an issue with ACE. Would you please try using OpenGL 3.6 and/or clear your Cache? If you can't connect please let me know what the reason is and hopefully Medor can help us? ;)

Going to test it for a week or so. 

Thanks!

RiTALiN

Medor! :D Your an awesome dude and I can understand where your coming from based on that experience and that would hold true to a lot of players over in Europe and beyond. And your point of keeping the game around for those new players coming out of Japan, Australia etc and giving them a better experience I'm all for it. And your correct it does allow us to play on a more even level. But I also have to be pragmatic to an extent because it doesn't solve other issues and never will.


Vankuss! You are also absolutely right, on both accounts. I consider myself blessed to at one point in the past have a ping of 20 on the Mountain.... It was glorious. But also considering people, ya'll are a great group of guys. I like playing on these servers. So my ping went from 20-75 even had some 24,000 moments. But it's worth it.

21! Yeah I'm in OpenGL now, soooo yeah. Lemme do that for a week or so before going back to fuxxoring Direct3D10 & 11. ACE should be fine so long as I can see the window with the install selected packages button. But your whole mapvote thing works perfect for my resolution. 

Helen! Please disregard the attempted logins on my account. I recently changed things and am currently coming out of the Netherlands. So showing Europe some love with color for the post. And I do agree I prefer playing without it, but in order to keep playing with people like Teuch, Vankuss, Medor & Other's i'll still keep joining pick up games with them.
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.

Helen

What kind of alcohol were you drinking when you wrote that? ;)
One of the Scriveners.

RiTALiN

#13

What kind of alcohol were you drinking when you wrote that?

Sadly none  :( Your right, I've been missing out on a good old fashioned bottle of Kettle One.
Me & SweaTyBeTTy were drinking Bourbon and playing one night tho, that was fun.  ;D  I don't drink that often anymore, maybe once every 3 months or so I'll have a few shots.
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.