Ping 21: System specs

Started by Tempest, Dec 14, 2012, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

Hey 21...here are my PC's specs (totally overkill for UT I think)


Tempest

and vid cards (2 460s running in SLI)


21

Nice setup.  I7 and 460 card with fast clocking and ddr5 memory. I wonder how much faster you play than me.  What I mean is, I wonder if you see me before I see you and maybe you're not in the spot I see you when I shoot?  I never seem to hit you, even when I aim ahead of you.

Thanks!

Hermskii

I struggle to think that even though his system outmatches mine 20 fold that he has much if any advantage over others since the server tic is managed at the game server.

I could be wrong but I doubt it. There may be an advantage but I bet it is in the milisecond range and thus undetectable. Maybe on a really poorly made map with too many triangles or whatever it is that slows down systems. What is it? Polygons right?
~Peace~

Hermskii

5L3V1N

#4
i would have to say no, the running specs for this game are 233mhz and ram something incredibly low 128mb ???? They specs would rise considerably with massive sniper maps and monster hunt plus AA/AF enabled. In fact some hi spec modern machines actually can cause problems with UT not recognizing multiple cpu cores and quiet and cool plus speed step setup in the computer bios.  Although now written out of several previous patches this game is built around Glide renderer and dx 6/7. There is no advantage to be gained with excessive machine specs unless you are using a monster size display screen.
Ping rules supreme - i sometimes play on the European multiplay servers with a ping as low as 40 and occasionally Foreign players join with a ping of 200+ unless they are a UT masters and up against a noob there is a high chance their gonna lose. I play on the UT Demo 348 i am part of a American Clan and always play on US servers.

The comment above "I wonder if you see me before I see you and maybe you're not in the spot I see you when I shoot?  I never seem to hit you, even when I aim ahead of you". This applies totally to ping. Two players facing each other shoot at the exact same time one has a ping of 200 and one has a ping of 50 the higher ping will always lose, trufax. machine specs don't really come into play unless it really is an old dog on a max map.
I dont know the max figure anymore for map building and the number of polygons used but i do know if exceeded the map can error, run badly etc, this can happen regardless of machine spec and obviously worse on archaic machines.

Oh yeah my machine specs, i use a netbook with a 10inch screen, no cd drive. As for get up and go, i can just about get away with playing UT2007 but the frame rate drops heavy in 6+ rocket battles.

RiTALiN

To those running *INTEL* "Dynamic Clock-(speedstep) processors. Allowing speedstep to be enabled can cause massive lag , speed ups, slow downs and more. i have run into this more with integrated chipsets "i.e laptops, tablets" but also some desktops. UT runs on a hardware based cpu clock yes, but if that frequency is dynamic and changing based on "assumed load" it will alter your gameplay, fix for this is to disable speedstep in your machines bios , if your processor is overclocked like mine is then most likely you've already run into this. basically the higher clock you have and can keep it at the smoother your UT will be. Lol although you can perform all the tricks in teh world and still get smacked down by someone on a P3  ;D
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.