CKT project

Started by Ray, Sep 20, 2011, 10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

Dunno what I was thinking.

For the most part I've only skinned Male Soldiers, Sktroopers, Female Soldiers, & Stegs. I've altered team colors for some of the other ut99 models but for the most part I haven't built an actual skin of any great detail for them.

For Keller I've taken on the project of making a team skin for what he'll be using as bots. I presented him with a number of options...and wouldn't you know he chose a Male Commando.

I've already started mapping it out:


This will be the first time I've done a full on skin for a Male Commando. Despite a number of programs that've been reocmmended to me, I still skin with ThumbsPlus (a graphic converter of a wide range) & MS Paint. Unlike my previous skinning projects, the textures for the Male Commando don't line up evenly.

Male Soldier, for example, textures are four 128x128 images arrayed on a 256x256 frame. I can easily cut, paste, trim, and slide things around that way because none of the individual parts overlap. Not so with the Male Commando, where everything is arrayed in their texture frames at odd angles.

So, it'll be a bit of a challenge and a tad nerve wracking...but I'll get it done. Mostly I'm still nervous about how it will all measure out. That and writing the 'CKT' on it. Still not sure where on the skin I'll be doing that or even if it will be in the same spot for each team color.

Ray

Well poop.


This is the first and last time I'll ever try to skin the Male Commando. It's too hard with what I've got and frankly, I didn't enjoy this at all.

The model only allows for team colors on the front and the backpack, which makes it look bad even in the best of circumstances. Add to that the boots are on 2 different texture frames, which is why they don't match....

....Crap!

I'm gonna try this again but on a different model.

.zip included but I take no credit for this thing as it's so lousy and I didn't put CKT on it.

Helen

Er, looks ok to me.
One of the Scriveners.

keller

i will use it as my own skin but need team colors

Ray

Quote from: 39373E3E3720520i will use it as my own skin but need team colors
It has team colors. Each camo is a different color.

Ray

Quote from: 6F6A6367600E0Er, looks ok to me.
Doesn't look as good from the back.

keller

Looks good on the server, skins added. I was going to redo them and add my talktexture but man was it a pain.

Ray

#7
What's a talktexture?
:o
Do you mean that lil' pic that pops up when you're speaking?

It varies from skin to skin, as I learned with this guy above, but it's usually pretty easy to add in. Just need a 64x64 .pcx 256 colored image and the correct setup in the .int file.

Texture size may vary from model to model. With the Sktrooper it's a 256x256 texture image.

keller

Yes but in order to get taht little talk texture into the package you bascially have to redo the whole skin, I had to export all the textures in unreal editor to pcx, edit with photoshop then open UT skin maker and make it all over again just to add a talk tex so I gave up lol

Ray

#9
Uhm, no you don't. Putting a talk texture in you only have to add the textures, not change the other ones at all. That and setup the .int file to use them. The talk texture doesn't require alteration to the rest of the skin at all.

Before I actively started skinning, a LONG time ago, I learned how to do talktextures for skins that didn't already have them.

Male Soldier is the easiest skinjob there is. Each body part, aspect of the skin, is numbered. You just make identical files names to the 4, 4 being the number of the face textures, and switch that with a 5 for whatever you choose to use.

That and all talktextures, for the male soldier at any rate, need to be 64x64.