DM-Bonescraper

Started by lolzsec, Jul 21, 2014, 06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lolzsec

I am working on a UT99 Map called DM-Bonescraper it is a port from the UT3 version.  New to this editor but familiar with the UT3 editor hopefully it is an easy transition.  I will post updated pics when ready.

Game: Unreal Tournament
     Level Name: Bonescraper
     Game Type: DeathMatch
     Botmatch: Yes
     Single Player: No
     Teamplay: Yes
     New Textures: No
     New Sounds: No
     New Music: No
     New Mutators: No
     Mods: No

Ideal Playercount: 2 - 4

RiTALiN

The map name sounds familier, i probably HAVE played it before, i had a 30GB archive i had made of different gameplay types and maps for my own sanity. I'll double check tonight tho. I always liked the remade maps from UT99, maybe they'll be equally as good in reverse, cool idea.
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.

RiTALiN

Found this in a casual search, if you were looking for help in a remake, you might try and team up with this guy, and yeah i remember this map, it is widely used to teach wall dodging due to the layout. Helen has a map on here called Bonestreet i believe, nice z-axis and some crazy frantik gameplay.

http://www.deathox8.com/WIP/DM-Bonescraper-Classic.html
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.

lolzsec

I have reached out to Deathox8, we will see if he replies.  Thanks Ritalin.

Helen

#4
Quote from: 7864596268697E64696D682C0Helen has a map on here called Bonestreet i believe, nice z-axis and some crazy frantik gameplay.
That would be DM-BoneMill][  :)  http://www.birdieman.com/stats/2014/07/20140721.1909.48.DM.BoneMill%5D%5Bst.7777.htm


Quote from: 7864596268697E64696D682C0http://www.deathox8.com/WIP/DM-Bonescraper-Classic.html
Sweet if someone has done it already. I took a peek at some of his screenshots, it reminded me of another map I used to have on here a few years ago, DM-Antargos, here's one of the stat summaries for it: http://www.birdieman.com/stats/2011/08/20110824.1103.40.DM.Antargos.7777.htm
I took it off eventually because I thought it was a bit laggy. I'll have to crack it open to see if there's anything I can do about that.
One of the Scriveners.

lolzsec

Progress So far- Blocking in the Geometry, ramps, walkways etc.  I need to brush up on my 2d Editor and other tools that can make manipulating brushes into shapes easier.

lolzsec

#6
Assistance Needed Please-
I have here a complex looking brush with a ramp on it from the UT3 version of this map that I have highlighted in the screenshot below:


Here is what I have accomplished so far in UT99 when trying to replicate:


I tried editing using the Vertex editing mode but can't seem to just grab run vertex, I use the (Cntr + alt and LMB to highlight the point and it grabs all the vertices, I tried just holding (Cntrl +LMB) and doesn't grab the one vertex.  Is there an easy way to replicate the ut3 version of this brush to the ut99 version or will I need to build it out in the 2D editor (more time consuming).  Another Question is- I noticed that the ut3 level is made from 3072x3072x1280 units high, in Ut99 however this looks way oversized, is there a unit conversion to follow from going from ut3 maps to ut99 maps, I think following the same brush geometry metrics will be too large for the ut99 version. Let me know any tips and tricks and if what I am saying makes sense before I continue forward.  Thanks.


RiTALiN

This link may be of some use in that regard, however you'd have to reverse it.

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/588848-UT3-Converter2-0-25c-01-22-2012
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.

lolzsec

Quote from: 4D516C575D5C4B515C585D190This link may be of some use in that regard, however you'd have to reverse it.

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/588848-UT3-Converter2-0-25c-01-22-2012
I actually tried this but it doesn't convert UT3 > UT99 maps only the opposite.  So building it from scratch seems to be my option.  Thanks though.

StivBators

Are you using the vertex editing button? Grab the top corner from side view and edit it.

lolzsec

I tried to grab it with the vertex editor but it grabs more than one point so it manipulates 2 vertices.  It won't let me grab just one from the side or front views either.

lolzsec

Progress thus Far:

Let me know what you think or if you see any issues?  Thanks.

StivBators

Well I edited two points on each brush to make this similar shape. It's not exact to what you need but it can be done this way.

http://youtu.be/F9AAK8WJiz0

Helen

Stiv, how do you make that video again? I could get those brushes even more refined, and showing it by video would be best.
One of the Scriveners.

StivBators

Nvidia "ShadowPlay" ,it came with my nvidia card drivers. I tried "Fraps" but it didn't work.

lolzsec

I still dont know how you did it without grabbing more than one vertex? The editor on my end grabs more than one.

Helen

Quote from: 6A4C495C4B7B5C5C390Nvidia "ShadowPlay" ,it came with my nvidia card drivers. I tried "Fraps" but it didn't work
Rats you need at least windows 7 for that.
Quote from: 5450525C390I still dont know how you did it without grabbing more than one vertex? The editor on my end grabs more than one.
Are you doing this?

  • single click on vertex so that red cross appears over it.
  • Hold down the Alt button.
  • Hold down the left-click button.
  • Now drag the mouse (while holding down Alt and Left-click).
That should move the single vertex you selected.
One of the Scriveners.

StivBators

#17
Quote from: 6F6A6367600E0Are you doing this?single click on vertex so that red cross appears over it.Hold down the Alt button.Hold down the left-click button.Now drag the mouse (while holding down Alt and Left-click).That should move the single vertex you selected.
Use this method above without clicking on the vertex edit button.

My point in the video was that I made that scene by grabbing 2 vertices on each brush, basically making a wedge shape and then overlapping them. Look closely at the additive brushes.

lolzsec

That did the trick, thank you.

lolzsec

Okay, I know this a little ahead of myself but before I delve too deep, how do I create the Trim look as in the UT3 screenshot, looks clean and professional, my version below however does not and  I could not find a tutorial to show how to do trim, my guess is to create a sheet and apply the trim to that?

UT3 Map with Trim on Walls/Floor, they manage to incorporate several textures into one(using Materials I suppose). I would like to create a similar look.



My UT99 map current with same texture no trim