Here there be giants...

Started by Ray, Jul 31, 2012, 10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

I've always thought, long before there even existed such a mutator, that the best place for redeemer battles would need two basic qualities:

1) A massive, ginormous, BIG area.
2) Low gravity.

So, when I started skimming the maps I had to edit something like this, those were the main criteria.

That's why I chose CTF4-HallOfGiants.



Just to put it out there, for those that care, I didn't get permission to edit this map. I did write the guy, he's got a website and everything, but he never got back to me. Then again his site hasn't shown any activity in awhile. I don't even know if he got permission from the guy who made the original CTF-HallOfGiants, who I have no clue how to contact.

I credited them both for this map in the selection window.

The HallOfGiants maps, of which there are many, I'm a huge fan of. Most of them don't allow for gameplay on all levels, this one has it on most of them. The maps also don't feature giants...

...this one, however, does.



There are 4 Warlords on this map, setup to survive multiple redeemer hits, using unusual but powerful firepower. There's also 4 Skaarj, setup the same but with no projectiles. Both are from the higher levels of the map, which you can avoid if you'd rather not deal with them by not going up there.

You could kill the monsters easily enough with the translocator if you wanted but I personally view that as cheaping out. Usually not an issue if you're playing with instagib arena or redeemer arena.

This map is also good for instagib arena battles. Without that or any kind of redeemer mutator it has just basic weapons.

Why monsters? Anybody can edit any map but few deathmatch maps have monsters on them. If someone logs into this map online and there's not much of anyone else logged in at least they can fight the monsters. Sometimes between actual combat, if there's not much of anyone around, it's kinda cool watching the Warlord's slowly flying way up high when they're not actively looking to kill you.

Technically this map is a tiny bit incomplete. I included a new carcass for the Warlords but not for the Skaarj. Figure that as it's primarily setup for redeemers or instagibs any Skaarj killed won't have a body. A Warlord's carcass can survive at least one hit from a redeemer but the Skaarj carcass can't survive one. It's highly unlikely that a carcass would be left, unless someone is using standard weapons.

Other than that, I think all the files you need are here.

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/?77u8cj64d9ol8el

MEAT

Good choice Ray.
Plays especially well with the seeker mod.
However...monsters? 
Not so much... :-/

Helen

Your screenshots always seem to have the highest quality.
One of the Scriveners.

Hermskii

I have always said that to him too. What gives eh?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Ray

#4
Quote from: 2421282C2B450Your screenshots always seem to have the highest quality.
A lot of people convert their screenshots to .jpg format, which makes certain aspects (especially the color red) fuzzy. I convert them to .png instead which is great. They'd be even clearer if I played at a larger screen size, which I really only do with ut2004.
Quote from: 3B393834363423510I have always said that to him too. What gives eh?
Magic.

Helen

Ah ok. A file type with more detail but larger footprint.

Experimenting, I saved a screenshot from UT, original size/format is 5.04 MB/bmp. If saving as png we get 2.21 MB, and saving as jpg gives us 0.275 MB.

One of the Scriveners.

Hermskii

Yeah but when you look at them do you see a quality difference between them? I'm hoping you say that you see a better image on the .png file.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Helen

Good point, I just assumed the png would look better with 8 times more info saved. Hmmm, on my pc, in paint shop pro, I can't see any difference   ???
One of the Scriveners.

Hermskii

Frustrating isn't it? Maybe the file type he saves it in isn't the answer. Maybe he sold his soul to the damn devil to have better screen shots than everyone else. Have you seen a real life picture of Evil Grins. He'd do it! He might even be the devil. Ever seen a grin that big before? Huh? See!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Ray

I'm reminded of my favorite quote: "God is my pilot, I am only the co-pilot... but the Devil is my bombradier!"

Ray

Quote from: 0B3C3D3C3C343C2B590However...monsters?
Long before there was MonsterHunt there were maps that had monsters on them...


...I think it's a grand tradition, and often more of a challenge.

Hook

Quote from: 495A45404B5E45425F2C0
Quote from: 0B3C3D3C3C343C2B590However...monsters?
Long before there was MonsterHunt there were maps that had monsters on them...


...I think it's a grand tradition, and often more of a challenge.
I agree!
Also, I was one of the ones who did that on maps I built in the early days of UT (circa 2000 to 2001), like Ray said above.
I used creatures actually. ;)
Maps I made with creatures: DM-FragginsteinCastle and DM-LuXor

FYI - I was the guy who tutored Zencoder (aka Britton Wesley) on how to add things like his jet fighters, and creatures and things to a map.
We were good friends back then.
The rest is history! :D
[size=14]=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net[/size]
[size=12]Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777[/size]

Ray

What ever happened to ZenCoder?