Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic UT99 vs UT2004 vs UT4 (Read 2032 times)
Ultimate Member

Hello

UT99 vs UT2004 vs UT4
Apr 28th, 2018 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Hi all.  I was in the mood to try something different. So I downloaded a couple of different versions of UT to see if I could be tempted away from UT99. After configuring my weapon and movement and a few days of testing this is what I found:

UT2004 - Pro's  - Wonderful graphics(really loved the water area in Curse), great maps (wish
                         UT99 had some of them!), lots of different skins
              Cons  - Movement is weird/ floaty
                       - Weapons seem weak and I really missed standard weapons
                       - Not many players and they seem to always play the same map [Rankin]

Overall   7/10

UT4 - Pros:  Best looking graphics [scenery and weapons]

Cons: Weird movement, boring maps, hard to configure, boring skins, not fond of
                   weapons, requires a decent pc and video card.

Overall:  5/10

******When I heard they were making UT4 I was pretty excited.  I was really hoping that they would build on UT99.  Basically the same weapons, maps, skins, movement, etc.  But with today's graphics.  Anyway, to me, it appears the almost 20-year-old game is still the best version.

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: UT99 vs UT2004 vs UT4
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
UT2004 - pretty much agree. New graphics were enough to dazzle for awhile, but the weapons/gameplay went backwards.

UT3 - Looked good of course, but again there was something wrong with the gameplay. And skateboarding? Sad.

UT4 - never gave it an honest shot because by then I was too heavily invested in UT99 (servers, coding, map making).

If a version comes along that accomplishes what I think we all want, new graphics with the feel of the old models/weaps/gameplay, then I'll move on to it.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 3:55am
Print Post  
Helen wrote on Apr 28th, 2018 at 5:04pm:
If a version comes along that accomplishes what I think we all want, new graphics with the feel of the old models/weaps/gameplay, then I'll move on to it. 

Lol, working on exactly that. Been working on Meshes for a few days now. However...will definitely be awhile.   Lips Sealed

If you've never played Unreal 1 + Mission Pack to Na-Pali give that a shot too, if you've used the oldskool movement mutator it will seem familiar however also give Unreal 2 The Awakening a chance, with that they changed the weapons almost entirely but you'll see some similarities as well. Shock Lance for instance, grenade launcher vs Flak Cannon etc.

21 wrote on Apr 28th, 2018 at 1:42am:
******When I heard they were making UT4 I was pretty excited.I was really hoping that they would build on UT99.Basically the same weapons, maps, skins, movement, etc.But with today's graphics.Anyway, to me, it appears the almost 20-year-old game is still the best version.

Undecided

UT4 is a better return to the gameplay and sizing of 99 than UT3 by far. However one of the biggest gripes about 2004 was the wall dodge/shield gun, UT4 makes similar changes. The only thing I really liked about UT3 was the gfx and the return of the stinger. Even the music sucked. Gameplay was pretty fierce though to give it some credit. Blood impacts against the camera were pretty cool too.

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

medor

Hello

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Other names to know for no confusion

UE4
UnrealTournament 2341 Or UT2341
UnrealTournament 4 Ou UT4
Open Tournament
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2680&start=0

Just UT4 is alive in this 4 and want to steal the name UT
but for the moment it's just not a new UT99 but a logic suit degradation UT to  UT3  UT2004 UT4

What we want is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpa_ycBmzik

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
UT2341  looks great!  It's exactly what I was hoping for!  Will it be available to play?

IP Logged

medor

Hello

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Well, that was pretty cool!  I wish there were players left in 2004.  Last night there were no players at all, on any server! Lol.    Thanks!

IP Logged

vankuss

Hello

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
lol
ut99 is the only ut there is, then there's 2k3/4, sure.
anything else is not worth researching or looking at

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint