Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) mountain-maps: bugs and glitches (Read 9009 times)
CodeX
YaBB Newbies

mountain-maps: bugs and glitches
Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Hi,

as promised, here are my finds so far:

DM-VengadorV.unr near the red flag (see pic):
Players can fall into the wall when jumping on the slope from above. I tried this to prevent falling damage and it is also a good place for shock rifle attacks.

DM-MiseryTE.unr:
The sky flickers rapidly in multiplayer games and it seems the lightning effect doesn't work properly there.
I had the same issue with the map AS-Gekokujou and I countered it with an actor that uses PostNetBeginPlay() and Timer() on the client-side to toggle the respective lights.
If you decide go down that road, you could include the Class in the MyLevel so there is no need for an extra Package to download (but a FE of the map).

Also I noticed that the two maps have low gravity (singleplayer) and in MiseryTE I flew to the sky and was stuck there. Did you make the maps for low-grav gameplay or are there other reasons for this?

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2015 at 5:11pm by CodeX »  

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: mountain-maps: bugs and glitches
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the finds!

CodeX wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:06am:
DM-VengadorV.unr near the red flag (see pic):
Players can fall into the wall when jumping on the slope from above.

A known bug by the regulars lol. I remember this map was a nightmare as far as solid walls not doing their job. A hole would appear, I'd fix it, but after compile another one would appear, grrrr. It's in the back of my mind to fix one day.

DM-MiseryTE.unr:
The sky flickers rapidly in multiplayer games and it seems the lightning effect doesn't work properly there.

I guess I do notice the rapid lighting, you think that is a bug? Or just something that could be done better? Thank you for the suggestions on using Timer() and PostNetBeginPlay(), I never really thought to use code to affect lighting, sounds like a good idea.

Also I noticed that the two maps have low gravity (singleplayer) and in MiseryTE I flew to the sky and was stuck there. Did you make the maps for low-grav gameplay or are there other reasons for this?

The versions that I spend a lot of time on will only work properly on the server, that way the server has something unique to offer, and hopefully gets more traffic.

I do email the authors first for permission, but less than half respond because most of the readmes are more than 10 years old, the emails are probably not in use anymore.

Which reminds me, I need to email the DM-Magma author Smiley

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

CodeX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Hello,

about the hole in the wall:
You could fill it with BlockAll-Actors (see pic 1), because you don't have to compile (re-build geometry) the map for them to work. Players cannot crouch/walk-move on BlockAlls, but at least they don't fall down.
I tried this in a test-map and used Radii view in UEd to align the blockers properly.

pic 1

The lightning effect is made with DistanceLightning-Actors in the sky box (see pic 2). They use Timer() to toggle the LightType. This is fine in local games but it doesn't work client-side in network games, because the light actor's RemoteRole is ROLE_DumbProxy and the functions are not simulated. That means they cannot get called in maps with NetMode NM_Client.

pic 2

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Aha to the lightning, so that is truly an online bug that you have certainly dived into. I understand more what you mean now, I'll check it out again and see what it looks like in single player. I'm sure it's probably nice, and it would be nice to get the author's intent to work online. Thanks for the detailed info!

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Try out DM-ISC_Oriental_Passage
It has a great lightening (and thunder) in it that works online. Wink
(It is on my CMM server if you don't have it)

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

CodeX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2015 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I played on the Mountain yesterday and the flickering light in DM-JB-Chud hurt my eyes. Angry

So I re-built the LightningFix-mod today and tested it on my server with a few (3) maps that use DistanceLightning actors.

It worked pretty well so far and the Timer() is somewhat random. At this moment the code can handle up to 64 DistanceLightning-Actors.

The file should be ServerPackage and the actor ServerActor, because it runs client-side too.
I think the biggest benefit of running this mod is that it fixes the lightning (obviously) w/o modifying the map. So there is no need for contacting the author.  Roll Eyes

If you like to try this mod - it is attached to this post.
You may compile it yourself. Wink

PS: I had to rename it to .txt for the upload
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2015 at 8:15pm by CodeX »  

LightningFix.txt ( 1 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Man, sometime I have to seriously learn the "mechanics" of coding.
I just don't quite grasp WHAT to do with the files.
I would LOVE to be able to do things with coding - even with the PirateDeemerCMM014 mod.

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
CodeX wrote on Feb 12th, 2015 at 8:22pm:
I re-built the LightningFix-mod today...

Thanks for this, I will get to it eventually, I just have a few other UT chores I'm working on right now Smiley

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Nooooo dont fix my hole in the wall on Vengador! That is special for lobbing flak shells @ Helen when he tries to hide up above or on a ledge!

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Me? I don't camp. Must be another Helen of Scrivener you're thinking of  Smiley

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks Helen, now Ritalins camping too!  Now I have no one to chase me around corners anymore.  Just me and the bots get in-game exercise now...lol.

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
LOL, one day i'm stationary and the next i'll be on you tighter than your shadow Wink I'll be back regularly soon enough just alot on my plate right now. Cheers to CodeX & Rossmond, hope to play against you guys soon enough, hope your enjoying the Mountain!

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
lol....you crack me up!

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Btw, just a note, I saw Magma Control Station ( second edition ) on the server, I must say FANTASTiC JOB H ! The map now performs stellar and has so much more potential than previous, I really hope you get it uploaded somewhere , definitely worth sharing to the world, the added spots and ledges make all the difference, by itself pretty boring map but the second edition really brings up the playability factor, highly impressed. Reminds me of the faster styling of Viridian Tourney now

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
RiTALiN wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 9:04pm:
Btw, just a note, I saw Magma Control Station ( second edition ) on the server, I must say FANTASTiC JOB H ! The map now performs stellar and has so much more potential than previous, I really hope you get it uploaded somewhere , definitely worth sharing to the world, the added spots and ledges make all the difference, by itself pretty boring map but the second edition really brings up the playability factor, highly impressed. Reminds me of the faster styling of Viridian Tourney now

Well thank you. I did put a lot of work into it, because the author said he wanted to approve my edition before I used it. Although after playing it a few times, I think the jumble of ramps in the sniper corner needs improving somehow.

Now this particular map is not pinned to the server. However, I promised the author that I would not share this new edition on the web. So you could pull it from your cache and play it on your own pc if you want. But don't go posting it anywhere.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #15 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
DM-Serenity, Helen i think you had a winter version of this a few weeks ago, I often see people jump ontop of the house where the minigun is, however when trying to jump anywhere else, like on the rocks on both ends where the Flak is, you hit the maps ceiling and suicide yourself. Is it possible to raise the allowed height to be able to walk on the flat ground above the rocks?

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #16 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
RiTALiN wrote on Apr 26th, 2015 at 4:18pm:
DM-Serenity, Helen i think you had a winter version of this a few weeks ago, I often see people jump ontop of the house where the minigun is, however when trying to jump anywhere else, like on the rocks on both ends where the Flak is, you hit the maps ceiling and suicide yourself. Is it possible to raise the allowed height to be able to walk on the flat ground above the rocks?

I do have to do something about that. Dying when going too high? That's annoying. But I do not wish to let players on the ledges, that would massively change the gameplay for the worse imo. I'll just change it to block players rather than kill them.

It's now on the todo list.  Smiley

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #17 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Hey that works! Yeah the dying was more frustrating first time i tried it i thought one of the bots got a lucky shot because i didnt see the suicide message, i can understand how it would change the gameplay too much, i just like big ledges and huge drops, maybe comes from skateboarding, maybe other things thx H. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint