Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: Do you ever want to quit this game? (Read 7313 times)
RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Re: Do you ever want to quit this game?
Nov 1st, 2013 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Honestly every couple days I go through this, but I also have a stellar network backend here, mostly tho I experience lag over ping issues, however I have noticed even when I should be slower physically I am somehow faster in-game  Shocked I have no idea why this happens, I play on Helen's Server pretty regularly & it's not specific to her server that I can tell, but it's entirely @ random, not mid-game lag but sometimes' every other? i'll see what I can figure out maybe with some luck we can pinpoint the origin, i'll keep you informed m8. Don't give up the fight tho, your too good 4 that.  Wink

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 3:45am
Print Post  
Thanks Ritalin,
Funny thing.  I played a few games tonight on a server I usually have issues on.  I ran straight (no dodging), chased players and fired at nothing in particular.  I won a couple of times and went top 3 in a few more. What a weird game....lol. 
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2013 at 12:20pm by 21 »  

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
I know about the speed issue.  Sometimes when I play I can run really fast.  Other times it's like I'm pulling someone.  Same low ping in both instances.  Maybe some maps are worse than others for movement?

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Alright I found this and from a hardware perspective it seems quite logical through and through, there is a definitive reason why older machines do it so well & this is really nothing new when it comes to "old games" -by todays standards....however it would seem UT shows it & it's associated problems to a much stronger extent, I found this & will be trying it on and off throughout the day, best of luck m8, lemme know how it works for you!  Smiley

http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/

highlight over the [Unreal Tournament 436] and click it to download.

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Alright and I will now add that 5 matches in a row with no speed increases or decreases, try it out when you get a chance, hope it works for you as well as it does me. Cheesy

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Interesting. I downloaded it and will keep it to try for when I get a new comp. Thanks!

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Okay, so help me figure this out. 

1. Why is it that I can move with no lag but weapons always have lag?  Is it because movement uses less bytes of info? 

2.Why do I get lag from one player and not another?

3.If someone has a lower net-speed than me, do their weapons respond faster? I'm usually around 7500-10000.

I guess that's it for now.  Thanks

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I have to guess at 1 & 2.

Client: your box.
Server: box with server on.

1. And this is also guessing at exactly what you mean. It probably depends on how much your client is allowed to replicate what you do when it comes to moving/firing/changing weapons. So I'm guessing that when moving, your client will draw/move you right away because it is immediately allowed to do these actions without awaiting instructions from the server. So conversely weapons have less freedom to replicate their actions, they must wait for more instructions from server.

2. Good question, I can recall experiencing this on FMJ, and, who knows. Ok we could say it could be because of a cheat somehow. Like they are somehow hammering other clients with more info, thus lagging us. Or it could simply be they are validly providing more info, like they are moving/doding/firing much more than others, or the fights are in close where client/server lag would be more perceptable. Like I said, guessing.

3. Technically no. But setting it as high as that (or higher) will bog you down and cause you be slower to process everything in general.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:38am
Print Post  
Cool.  Thanks for answering my questions.  Movement has always been a question of mine.  I figured weapons like Flak would require more work from the server to keep track of all the ammo. But even when my shots aren't registered I am usually moving okay. 
As for lag when a player joins I'm not suggesting they cheat.  I'm sure it's a technical issue. Quite often this happens to me here.  I will be playing just bots then a regular player hops on and my weapons go to mush.  Shots required to kill bots all of a sudden go from 1/2  to 3/4.  When the player leaves my weapons are fine again.  Weird.  I guess I will never get used to online gaming lag.  When I have no lag, I think I have finally figured out this game.  Then I play with lag and I suck so bad I want to quit.  I can handle someone taking damage 1-2 seconds later after I shoot them, it's when they don't take any damage at all that drives me nuts. (ie.  No hitsounds, blood, different movement)  "Dude, I just shot you with 5 rockets, uh shouldn't you be at least flying in the air ?"   Lol.

IP Logged

Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I quit UT often, but I always come back... which is why I never delete it.

Personally, I see them as mini-vacations.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 4:15am
Print Post  
21 wrote on Nov 1st, 2013 at 3:45am:
Thanks Ritalin,
Funny thing.  I played a few games tonight on a server I usually have issues on.  I ran straight (no dodging), chased players and fired at nothing in particular.  I won a couple of times and went top 3 in a few more. What a weird game....lol. 

Next time please ask permission before you use my one and only strategy. Thank you!

Ohhhhh that so reminds me of the days back when Helen and I played on Friday nights. GOOD TIMES!

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 5:06am
Print Post  
Will do Herm!   Lol.....

IP Logged

Red_Dog
YaBB Newbies

Hello

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I can't see ever quitting UT99. The only game I play even now since 1999. Have seen many players come and go but there are a few originals out there. Years ago I had over 400 hours online in one month .now 1 or 2 hours a day with some day's missed but still feel the same about playing the game.

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Me either, 99 is still the most "Fun" for me, I'm not the biggest fan of dodging, or jumping, or any of the specialty techniques in any of the Unreal games, however lately i've been playing some 2003, 2004 & UT3, mostly because i own them, kinda miss them now & again, but 99 is the only one that keeps me coming back because of how stellar the gameplay is. Hope to play against you again soon Red! Cheers!

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
It is the only game I play, besides minesweeper.
Gameplay is the most important to me, so the later versions didn't cut it for me.
If at times I am not playing much, it is because I am either making a map, or programming a mutator.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #15 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Pretty much my story with UT is similar to all of your stories.
Only one I play, and I still am Pumped to play it! (every night!) Cheesy

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint