Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic UT 99 GOTY Via ~Virtual Machine~ (Read 2344 times)
RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

UT 99 GOTY Via ~Virtual Machine~
Oct 5th, 2013 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Alright so i've been playing UT for years, most of my life in fact, but only online in the past 2 years or so. I decided to try out my new installation of VMware Workstation v10. Now in the past i've only used a VM for old point & click games like The 7th Guest and mostly ScummVM @ that. So i saw one interesting change when setting up my VM before installing an OS. It had a checkbox that could be enabled for "3D Hardware Acceleration" ....Now previously this was only capable of with Microsoft's Hyper-V and a very specific setup @ that. Few people could run it. Now this is brand new & quite expensive but i digress. So i enabled it & in short installed XP Pro SP2 and my copy of Unreal Anthology which i have available via network install, decided to first test with Unreal Gold & was so impressed with the performance...(Holy Crap i can do 3d gaming in a VM?!?!) that i decided to uninstall it, this time installing Unreal 2004 & UT99 GOTY....also impressed that i could easily Max UT2k4 and still get Godlike on the first round i decided to try online play with UT99 & to my amazement, i got a LOWER Ping & Smooth as Butter gameplay. Even beat Helen to my personal amazement but yeah if someone is interested in this further hit me up or try it for yourself. Awesome stuff i say, could create bring around some major changes in gaming in general. Btw system specs before i was running in a VM were as follows.
Core i5 @ 2.4GHz Hyper-Threading Enabled w/Intel Integrated HD 3000 Graphics ,4GB's DDR3 1333MHz & it's a laptop. Dell Latitude OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 @ 1024x768
Inside the XP (Virtual Machine) 1024x768, VMware's SVGA2.0 Graphics Driver, and 1GB of RAM , & 1 Core.
Enjoy , i know i did  Wink

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Re: UT 99 GOTY Via ~Virtual Machine~
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
I am not sure WHAT a VM is? Sad

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:51am
Print Post  
A VM is a Virtual Machine, or Virtualized Computer , say you run Windows 7 , you install VMware Workstation on your windows 7 computer and use it to create a virtual machine or "VM" which runs inside your host machine in the afformentioned case being windows 7. Normally tho @ least previously there was no way to virtualize the graphics or display adapter for more than basic windows aero support, with VMware Workstation version 10.0 though they have brought 3d acceleration capabilities so i thought i'd try them out by testing it with what is by todays standards a classic game , not too taxing but good enough to see the 3d acceleration at work. and to my amazement it passed even my greatest initial expectations. so a big advancement in aspects of virtual ability. Basically a VM "virtualizes" computer hardware such as CPU, # of core's & RAM amount such as 512MB's , 4GB's, and HDD space, basic sound and printer's and whatnot. pretty cool honestly , speaking of UT tho, i'll be paying your server a visit in the next couple day's Hook  Cheesy in the end you treat a VM the same as a physical machine right in front of you. It's just gaming on them previously was considered pretty much impossible !

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Ah I see! Smiley
OK, but I am not seeing why you would use a VM. Huh

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net