Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Can you have too many FPS ? (Read 5673 times)
StivBators

Hello

Can you have too many FPS ?
Jan 19th, 2013 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Is there an ideal frames per second ? I used to match mine to screen refresh rate 120mhz. But I can average much higher. I can't tell if there is any benefit or not. Any thoughts ?

Shot0002.bmp ( 2304 KB | Downloads )
Shot0002.bmp

IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Re: Can you have too many FPS ?
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
The FPS you set in the UT Menu is only the minimum FPS you want - then if needed to keep you there, UT will lessen or omit graphics in an Attempt to keep you at that minimum FPS.
That is all that does.

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

StivBators

Hello

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Hook wrote on Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:14pm:
The FPS you set in the UT Menu is only the minimum FPS you want - then if needed to keep you there, UT will lessen or omit graphics in an Attempt to keep you at that minimum FPS.That is all that does. 

Correct, but I'm talking about in the ini under opengl or d3d9 where it says FrameRateLimit=xxx with vsync off. Higher is usually better, but at what point does it not matter ?  150, 199, 250 ?  Or does it actually hurt ?

IP Logged

medor

Hello

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
It's not a problem if not affect your moving speed of the player.

The wisest course is set as screen monitor.

IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 5:46am
Print Post  
At 60fps it won't matter anymore. Also, you can't go faster than your monitor can refresh so at best, you can onlt set it to match the monitors max. I can get FPS up in 500's but it doesn't matter. I figure that at around 60 fps the human I can no longer tell. Set it to 60 and forget it.

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Kelly
YaBB Newbies

Hello

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Lock it to the refresh rate of your monitor (usually 60hertz hence 60FPS). Any higher and you get tearing when you turn quickly.

In the old days with large CRT monitors you could crank that to 100 if the monitor could handle it but now all the monitors are LCD and can't do anything but 60. I miss the response time of the CRT's but the colors are better with the new monitors.

IP Logged

StivBators

Hello

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Kelly wrote on Jan 25th, 2013 at 5:47am:
In the old days with large CRT monitors you could crank that to 100 if the monitor could handle it but now all the monitors are LCD and can't do anything but 60. I miss the response time of the CRT's but the colors are better with the new monitors.

I loved my Sony GDM F520 21" trinitron. Awesome picture and 100hz plus. Unfortunately I recently had to replace it,
it kept getting blue green greyish tint over the whole image.If I hit it sometimes the picture would correct itself, but that has become less effective. Replaced it with a Benq XL2420T 24" 120hz. Great monitor but picture not as sharp as the crt was.
     I can't see playing with 60fps, just not smooth enough. Gonna keep experimenting till it feels right. Note also net speed also effects fps. Change your netspeed fromm 10000 to 20000 and youll see more fps as long as v-sync is disabled. So many variables it gets confusing  Undecided  Cheesy  Shocked

IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 3:39am
Print Post  
I have always wondered if players with 120 plus fps on 120 hz monitors can see players with 60 fps on 60 hz monitors before they see them.  My monitor is only 60 hz, so the times I have removed Vertical Sync and my fps went to 150 plus, everything (bots, weapons) moved really fast. Too fast. Bots were in my face faster than I could shoot.  It's much smoother when all my settings are 60 fps and my netspeed is around 7500. I wish I could see the game from a 120 hz monitor with 120 fps.  I really want to see how the game looks at that speed.  Mortgage and kids means old monitor for now....lol.

IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I hear ya...
I have a new HD1080p 20" computer now, but I also still use the Old comp. - On my OLD computer, I am using a spare 19" Flat Screen TV. Cheesy
Not even as good as my old 19" CRT monitor was that blew out. Roll Eyes

=Hook=

IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 4:56am
Print Post  
My math sucks but even if you had an old PC and stuff at 60mhz for the refresh and someone else had 120mhz refresh they still only see more or you faster about 1/60th of 1 second faster or something that even at half as fast or twice as fast isn't noticeable to the human eye I'd suspect.

I finally went to a pair of flat screen LCD monitors from a bad to the bone Sony I still have. I can tell the Sony was better but these new monitors I'm using which are old Acer AL1916 monitors get it done more than well enough. No heat hardly and much less power consumption and desk space required. It was a no-brainer once I did it.

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
What Hermskii said is true I am sure. Wink
Makes sense too.

=Hook=

IP Logged

relentless
YaBB Newbies

Hello

Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 2:56am
Print Post  
I still use a CRT because I like it. I tried playing UT on DELL flat-screen at 60MHz refresh, didn't like it. The game looks different on a flat-screen, and feels different. As for FPS, I can't see any difference between 60fps and 100fps on my system. My CRT is a LaCie electron 19 blue III flat-screen. It has beautiful color and a decent refresh rate of 75MHz at the highest screen res I can set in UT.

For me, I'm more concerned about color, brightness and contrast for working in Photoshop. I re-calibrate about every two months. So if you see me saying "map too dark" it is because IMO how it should look. I know my brother, JamesBong, likes his monitor bright, but when it comes to graphics, it sucks because you have no idea what it will look like printed out on good quality photo paper on a good quality printer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint