Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Players slowing down the server (Read 2469 times)
Ultimate Member

Hello

Players slowing down the server
Jan 11th, 2012 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Example

Today I was playing Helen's server and another player joined.

Before the game - Bots die easily,regular amount of shots.

New player joins- Bots and player take extra ammo to kill. I could barely kill 10 bots in 5 minutes.

New player leaves - Bots easy to kill again, 30 bots in 4-5 minutes.

What's up with this?  Is there a hack or tweak that causes this? Any ideas?

Thanks

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: Players slowing down the server
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I have no solid answer. Here's only what I've read.

Is it a cheat? Could be. I've read that a cheat can send extra packets your way, so that you are bogged down with more info to cram down your bandwidth.

If not a cheat, then what? I think the most plausible explanation is that naturally there is more packet info with more players, but it shouldn't be so bad as to cause the kind of issue you are stating. So there are so many factors to consider - your UT setup, your hardware, the traffic on the connection to the server, the server's hardware, and the setup of the server itself (this last one being the only thing I can control).

I know I've done the best I can to keep the server speedy. 99% of my mutators are extremely light processing DURING gameplay. There is one mutator left, CCProtector, that does lots of code in Tick(), I want to redo that to make that light too.

I will look at something else I could set, I will see if enforcing a max client rate on the server would help, I want to research that first though.

I know you do lots of reinstalls, the two things you should alway remember to reset are CacheSizeMegs, and your NetSpeed.

That's it for now.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
What will you set maxclient rate to? What should I have my player's net speed set to? I have never adjusted my netspeed before.

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
I'll let you know after I've researched and experimented. I'm not even sure they are settings that would help the server, they may only be relevant to the client.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 12:31am
Print Post  
I set my maxclient to about 5,000. The rest of it only seems to have an effect on players with 56K and whether they connect well and their ping. I have found it best to leave the rest at default pretty much.

Hmmm? This has me wondering a few things now that I know a lot more than I did about networking back in the day. I might have to try some things too.

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint