Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic CKT project (Read 4482 times)
Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

CKT project
Sep 21st, 2011 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Dunno what I was thinking.

For the most part I've only skinned Male Soldiers, Sktroopers, Female Soldiers, & Stegs. I've altered team colors for some of the other ut99 models but for the most part I haven't built an actual skin of any great detail for them.

For Keller I've taken on the project of making a team skin for what he'll be using as bots. I presented him with a number of options...and wouldn't you know he chose a Male Commando.

I've already started mapping it out:

This will be the first time I've done a full on skin for a Male Commando. Despite a number of programs that've been reocmmended to me, I still skin with ThumbsPlus (a graphic converter of a wide range) & MS Paint. Unlike my previous skinning projects, the textures for the Male Commando don't line up evenly.

Male Soldier, for example, textures are four 128x128 images arrayed on a 256x256 frame. I can easily cut, paste, trim, and slide things around that way because none of the individual parts overlap. Not so with the Male Commando, where everything is arrayed in their texture frames at odd angles.

So, it'll be a bit of a challenge and a tad nerve wracking...but I'll get it done. Mostly I'm still nervous about how it will all measure out. That and writing the 'CKT' on it. Still not sure where on the skin I'll be doing that or even if it will be in the same spot for each team color.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Re: CKT project
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Well poop.

This is the first and last time I'll ever try to skin the Male Commando. It's too hard with what I've got and frankly, I didn't enjoy this at all.

The model only allows for team colors on the front and the backpack, which makes it look bad even in the best of circumstances. Add to that the boots are on 2 different texture frames, which is why they don't match....

....Crap!

I'm gonna try this again but on a different model.

.zip included but I take no credit for this thing as it's so lousy and I didn't put CKT on it.

CommandoSkin_CKT.zip ( 834 KB | Downloads )
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Er, looks ok to me.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

JDKeller
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 2:57am
Print Post  
i will use it as my own skin but need team colors

IP Logged

Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Quote:
i will use it as my own skin but need team colors

It has team colors. Each camo is a different color.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Helen wrote on Sep 22nd, 2011 at 12:26am:
Er, looks ok to me.

Doesn't look as good from the back.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

JDKeller
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Looks good on the server, skins added. I was going to redo them and add my talktexture but man was it a pain.

IP Logged

Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
What's a talktexture?
Shocked
Do you mean that lil' pic that pops up when you're speaking?

It varies from skin to skin, as I learned with this guy above, but it's usually pretty easy to add in. Just need a 64x64 .pcx 256 colored image and the correct setup in the .int file.

Texture size may vary from model to model. With the Sktrooper it's a 256x256 texture image.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

JDKeller
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Yes but in order to get taht little talk texture into the package you bascially have to redo the whole skin, I had to export all the textures in unreal editor to pcx, edit with photoshop then open UT skin maker and make it all over again just to add a talk tex so I gave up lol

IP Logged

Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Uhm, no you don't. Putting a talk texture in you only have to add the textures, not change the other ones at all. That and setup the .int file to use them. The talk texture doesn't require alteration to the rest of the skin at all.

Before I actively started skinning, a LONG time ago, I learned how to do talktextures for skins that didn't already have them.

Male Soldier is the easiest skinjob there is. Each body part, aspect of the skin, is numbered. You just make identical files names to the 4, 4 being the number of the face textures, and switch that with a 5 for whatever you choose to use.

That and all talktextures, for the male soldier at any rate, need to be 64x64.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint