Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) medScoreBoard on the server (Read 7799 times)
Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

medScoreBoard on the server
Oct 25th, 2010 at 12:37am
Print Post  
The scoreboard on the server now has 3 updates:

A. It tracks your all-time frags. At the end of a match your all-time total will be calculated and shown (see pic below)

B. You can press F2 to see the top 120 all-time players. If you are in the list you are in purple. If other players who are playing at the time are also in the list, they will be in green (see 2nd pic).

C. It can show spectators in the list, and it will show the spectator's career total as well (sorry no pic).

Any comments, issues, let me know.

P.S., it does tally the bot career totals out of interest, but their totals are not shown in the all-time list.

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2011 at 11:35pm by Helen »  

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Re: medScoreBoard169 - a beta version with stats!
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 5:38am
Print Post  
I saw this when I played on your server. Very nice! Is it free? I'm starting to think you should have a mod discussion only section on this forum.

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:40am
Print Post  
What do you mean, is it free? Why, what would you pay for it?  Grin

The basic one, version 100, is available. You've probably seen that one on Hook's server. I wasn't really planning on making the current one available. It's 98% done for DeathMatch, but 2% done for the other game types. I likely will never finish it.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Version 100 it will be then. I would only use it for Dm anyways! Very nice work here. Very nice!

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: medScoreBoard on the server
Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 1:31am
Print Post  
The version on the server is now 187. Many minor updates, but of note would be:

A. When you are looking at the stats (with F2) you can see any chat message. This way you don't miss anything if someone is talking to you. See the inserted image as an example of what I mean. (This is only supported if your screen resolution is at least 1024x768 or higher).

B. The server/contact info is customized and neater.

C. The top player list can show up to 160 players now (it used to max out at 120). The number of players you actually see depends on your screen resolution. To see up to 160 you need the width part of your res to be at least 1680.

D. Fixed a bug where if you hit F2 too fast (either after joining or after a map change), not all of the information would load. It still takes a second but it all loads up.

E. The specific resolution of 1152x864 didn't align too well, fixed.

This pic is pretty big, to see it all at once either just click on it, or there is a scrollbar at the bottom of the post.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hermskii
privatehook

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 3:42am
Print Post  
I am going to make the move to this someday. Does anybody have a bunch of time I can borrow?

As always, very nice work Helen and thank you too!

~Peace~

Hermskii
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Hermskii - Use the medScoreboard100 basic version.
It is still very good and Very EASY to set up! Wink

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

Kelly
YaBB Newbies

Hello

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2011 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Very nice, very clean scoreboard. I like the idea of a longer F2 list, though 120 is probably too many. Do a resolution grab of your players and you'll see many people still trundling along at 800 X 600, low detail. That's going to get pretty cramped.

Maybe a cleaner way is to add Rank to the bottom of the main SB like:
Your career kills: <int>  Your server rank: <int>
(and maybe) Kills to next rank: <int>
and do away with F2. I added code to see how many people actually clicked F2 in MH2Gold testing and it was actually very few. Mostly it was looked at once then never reopened.

I've been considering allowing players to click an in-game download of the player scoring ini because of it's importance to them. If I knew how to scrape it to a website, now that would be the way to go. Real-time stats on a webpage beats anything you can add in a HUD or SB.

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2011 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
First I guess I should let all know that I did do a mini-update, but I hadn't posted it. Version 188 has column headers for the stats, so it indicates "Player" and "Frags", see pic.

Now to your post, Kelly:

Kelly wrote on May 15th, 2011 at 12:16pm:
Maybe a cleaner way is to add Rank to the bottom of the main SB like:
Your career kills: <int>Your server rank: <int>
(and maybe) Kills to next rank: <int>

Because of the way I designed the storage of the totals, that would only work for those already in the top 120. If a player is not in the top 120, I don't know the player's rank, only their total.

I built it to work for a server that is going to be around for a long time. This mute will be able to save up to 300,000 players (and their scores). To do that and still work efficiently considering the potential file sizes, that was my consideration for the design.

Just a note on the max size (300,000) since I mentioned it. If it ever gets full (wow wouldn't that be a dream) there are cull commands to remove players. For example you could cull all players who have a score of less than 100 and who have not been seen for 1000 games. Stuff like that. You get to specify your own numbers.

and do away with F2. I added code to see how many people actually clicked F2 in MH2Gold testing and it was actually very few. Mostly it was looked at once then never reopened

Neva! On the mountain, F2 means THE HALL OF FAME

I've been considering allowing players to click an in-game download of the player scoring ini because of it's importance to them. If I knew how to scrape it to a website, now that would be the way to go. Real-time stats on a webpage beats anything you can add in a HUD or SB.

Agree/disagree. Disagree first. Web page beats HUD? Depends who you are. I love the in-game stats. Your rise to fame is real-time, and it spurs you to play more.

But yes, firing up a web page in the morning over coffee to view your stats is fun and popular, so I have been keeping this in mind to try and accomplish. I know I could do it right now in a roundabout way, but I'd rather figure out the generic works-out-of-the-box solution and work on that. That is, the solution for this mutator in particular. Oh and of course it would be able to list all players and have them ranked, because it would not have the in-game limitations.

Anyhoo, I don't even have this on the burner really. I'm going to start a new map right away.  Smiley

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Kelly
YaBB Newbies

Hello

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2011 at 2:39am
Print Post  
There's really no need to go 300,000. Even HoF, who keeps a server continually in the top 8 or so, has an AKA log that hovers at around 4000 entries. I doubt there are 10,000 players now worldwide if you don't duplicate count alternative names people use.

Just out of curiosity how long will the engine take to order say 100,000 entries? I pulled the one at HoF back from 30,000 to 6,000 because there was a noticeable lag at game end. That could very well be inefficient coding on my end in setting the array but ordering 100K is a lot of flops, let alone 300K. I'll have to test that, you have my curiosity aroused. I'm wondering if the engine can handle that large of a job along with end-game and pre-server travel without crashing. Might have to slip in a timer to allow the end-game to work itself out before starting to order the array.

It's cool you have an interest in this. Almost no one does now.

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2011 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Kelly wrote on May 16th, 2011 at 2:39am:
There's really no need to go 300,000. Even HoF, who keeps a server continually in the top 8 or so, has an AKA log that hovers at around 4000 entries. I doubt there are 10,000 players now worldwide if you don't duplicate count alternative names people use.

I'm a big thinker.  Cool

Kelly wrote on May 16th, 2011 at 2:39am:
Just out of curiosity how long will the engine take to order say 100,000 entries? I pulled the one at HoF back from 30,000 to 6,000 because there was a noticeable lag at game end. That could very well be inefficient coding on my end in setting the array but ordering 100K is a lot of flops, let alone 300K. I'll have to test that, you have my curiosity aroused. I'm wondering if the engine can handle that large of a job along with end-game and pre-server travel without crashing. Might have to slip in a timer to allow the end-game to work itself out before starting to order the array.

It's cool you have an interest in this. Almost no one does now. 

Like I said I only have 120 ranked, or sorted, ever, so no problems for me there.

I sympathize with your sorting lag time. Any file manipulation, be it sorting or whatever, will of course take longer the larger the file size, so not much we can do there. I split up the files with the players so that reading/writing is not bogged down by every single player name. I also capped the size at 300,000 based on saving times during testing.

The fact I only have 120 sorted at one time - it is not a concern for me, it works perfectly ingame, as I intended. But if I want to post all rankings like on a website, I would still have to sort all the others. No big deal I figure, easy enough to do outside of the game when it won't lag things. If I eva get around to it.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Kelly
YaBB Newbies

Hello

Reply #11 - May 16th, 2011 at 11:45am
Print Post  
So, if I can ask, you have really two ini's built into one? The first is a collection of all past players then a sub-group that you have to pass a test of "> player #120" ?  Interesting. That helps order the array from the beginning too, as it will tend to stay numerical throughout it's length. Well done!

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2011 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Yes, that is the concept, two ini's. One for players, the other for the top 120 (correction it's actually top 160).

Technically though, the top 160 is actually 7 ini's, and the players are broken amongst 30 ini's. This helps with snappy loading/saving, as well as minimum file management, believe it or not.

One day I'll finish it.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint