Specfix

Started by Se7eN, Feb 21, 2023, 08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Se7eN

This mod fixes some of the inaccuracies of spectator mode (crosshair not being properly aligned, weird mouse movement etc...)

http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Mods/&file=specfix.zip

How to:
-Extract the files to your UnrealTournament\System directory
-Launch UT and select the "Mod" menu option, then select "specfix"
-Connect to server

Helen

I downloaded that hoping it would have a readme and it did. To quote one of its lines: "- What's Specfix? Simple: It allows you to spectate matches from the player's perspective (just like you would in Quake). You always could do this in UT by typing behindview 0 at console, but there were several problems. Specfix fixes those problems."

Problems? What problems! Tell me what you are fixing! And then it goes on to list a whole bunch of its own bugs (seven in total), and brushes them off as no big deal. But they seem enough to scare me away from trying it.

The only spectator glitch I can think of is one mentioned in this mutator's readme, and that is that the armor values are zero. I know of this glitch and I fixed it in my own spectator class, but you can only see this correction if you have chosen to use the custom HUD I have made available. Please see this post for how to use it:
http://www.birdieman.com/cgi-bin/bin260/YaBB.pl?num=1416079929

However this post has reminded me of something I want to try for spectators, splitting the screen in four to spectator multiple players at once.
One of the Scriveners.

Se7eN

#2
My main problem with the default spectator mode is that I always had fairly noticeable crosshair inaccuracies, namely that the xhair would almost never be where it's suppose to ne upon a hit. It also seems like it wouldn't track the player's mouse movements properly.

This "specfix" and "eavy server browser" are the two mods I always make sure I have installed. I never managed to get around those annoyances unless I used specfix.

I might do a short video of my UT with and without specfix to show the differences.

Se7eN

I guess I should have mentioned that this makes no difference unless you spectate in "behindview 0" (which I always do)

I'll do that video comparison this weekend, you'll see the differences are obvious.

Se7eN

#4
Here's what I meant by "spectating innacuracies":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2wyO22MIEY

In this video, I enable spectator mode (without specfix) and issue "behindview 0" in console to view from 1st person instead of 3rd person. Notice how choppy it is.

Then I switch to using specfix, and notice how the choppiness when viewing in 1st person is gone. I then disable specfix again for comparison's sake.

I always spectate in 1st person, so this mod is useful to me.