Small files that take a long time to download

Started by 21, Sep 09, 2016, 10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21

Hi there,
I always compress my maps,etc but for some reason many small files (less than 1000kb) take a couple of minutes to download.  I use CompressAlot and it does a great job for larger files, so I'm confused!   Thanks

Helen

1000Kb = 1MB? Just making sure.

What % did they compress? Compare the original size of the .unr with the size of the .uz, maybe they didn't compress much.
One of the Scriveners.

21

I'll check.  I know you're smaller files are always fast.  I've used 2 different redirect servers and both have slower downloading on small files. Yes, files less than a mb. 

Thanks!


Ray

Not my field really, but you compress them to make them smaller and save time... is there any chance when someone's trying to join your game and they're getting these compressed files the upload process is decompressing them?

RiTALiN

Ive noticed this with different transfer protocols FTP, email, I2P,P2P and some "seedier programs" but it could make alot of sense, I think Ray is on the right track, but that it's taking the compression into account as "processing overhead", try leaving those files uncompressed and see if they load faster, sometimes with small files specifically it can make a huge difference. Id be curious to see the difference. What data chunk sizes does UT use for transfers anyway?
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.