map vote, or new maps?

Started by Helen, Mar 09, 2021, 07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helen

I am trying to decide where to put my UT energy. Please let me know your choice.

Expanding on the options:
Mapvote - I would need to write my own mapvote. Could be awhile before ready.
New maps, poor quality - I put up new maps with hardly any edits, turnaround time, maybe a week?
New maps, good quality - I edit a map to give it good gameplay, turnaround time, maybe 6 - 8 weeks.

Thank you!
One of the Scriveners.

TankBeef

I personally do not like map vote. In theory sounds great, you have a variety of maps to choose from, but then they keep voting for the same 3 or 4 maps, usually the stock ones, especially the way overplayed deck16  :( , no, I prefer custom quality maps, as long as they are good, I don't mind which one I get.


Hostile

I hardly ever vote. Just let the server pic um.
I stay lost most times. :)
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,  baffle them with bullsh.t

Ray

Always room for new maps.

-=ASSASSIN=-

#5
There are Plenty of Maps Mods Map Votes out a Good Thing Imaho would be a Cool Scoreboard which is abel to show every Gametype you use on Server or a good Server Controller thats would be more Useful and Interessting or at least if possible the most wanted zsounds from ut 2004 made for ut99  :D :D :D Regards

Helen

The winner of poll, obviously, is good maps. I was hoping it was going to be something else, I was looking for a bit of a change. Having a good map on the go for weeks on end can be tiring. So I'm going to compromise, I'll go halfway between quick and quality.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote.
One of the Scriveners.

TankBeef

And thank you Helen, for your efforts, for everything you do to keep the server alive and interesting.  :)

Hostile

It would be nice to see the server's map list. The good thing about map vote. You see the map list. You will know what they like by what they vote for. and people will probably stay longer.
I like this server because it's a simple server without all the weird add on's. I was selfish with my vote, not wanting to change.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,  baffle them with bullsh.t

TankBeef

Quote from: 26250D0D06620It would be nice to see the server's map list. The good thing about map vote. You see the map list. You will know what they like by what they vote for. and people will probably stay longer.
I like this server because it's a simple server without all the weird add on's. I was selfish with my vote, not wanting to change.

Well yeah, but anyway, on the stats page one can see the maps that have been played over the years, so one can have an idea of what is coming. I don't know how many player who go on the server find the link though. I keep coming back to the server not only because deathmatch is my favorite mode, but because I prefer the custom maps way more than the stock ones. I go to other servers and its deck again, codex again, morpheus again, phobos again  :(... I also get a great vibe here, I told Helen I am definitely no pro, and I get crushed by veterans with way more hours than me, but I do not mind, I am in it for the fun mostly.  ;D I can deal with that. What I don't have to deal with is attitude and trolling, and many servers have lost control over that, so I end up leaving.

Helen

Quote from: 6B6840404B2F0I was selfish with my vote, not wanting to change.
Understandable, I am like that too, if I like something, I don't want it to change.
One of the Scriveners.

TankBeef

#11
Ok just to give and idea, I will highlight some of the maps I have played and enjoyed on the server (personal taste, everyone has their own). Coke (large and regular), Compulsive, Distinctive, Alone In the Dark, Arktos (the planes map  ;D), Atropos, Vengador, Verdana, Unit (password room map), Foom and Foomflood, Empowered, Deck40 (yeah I know Helen, winter map), Real World Gone Bad, Sepulchrum, Judith, Lostlands, Mad Scientist, Arkhan, Fade, Toll, Words, Defiant, Ride The Dragon, Cityzen, Axon, Sweet Nothings, Vault City.

The map that so far frustrates me the most is the Z-axis Inspector. And that pink panther theme remix does not help.  :( Does not mean I won't play it, but still...

Hostile

Quote from: 032F2C2407292E400And thank you Helen, for your efforts, for everything you do to keep the server alive and interesting.  :)

I'll second that, and say were you been? Come out and play ;)
I won't take any more pics. They beating me up!! lol
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,  baffle them with bullsh.t

TankBeef

Where have I been? Or where has Helen been? Most likely Helen, cause I have been on the server almost every night, even with the bots  ;D Helen is probably either working very hard on that map, watching hockey or drinking smoothies.  ;)

Helen

I have a bit of an online chess addiction. I play 1+0 bullet for hours. However I have been playing too much so it is time for a pledge. I pledge not to play online for one month. That should free up some time.
One of the Scriveners.

TankBeef

Quote from: 5550595D5A340I have a bit of an online chess addiction. I play 1+0 bullet for hours. However I have been playing too much so it is time for a pledge. I pledge not to play online for one month. That should free up some time.

That's fair. It is always good to take breaks, so you don't burn out. You are always missed, you make the server fun.  :) I will eventually at some point go back to playing MAME arcade games with my fight stick. But UT99 is too addictive.  ;D

Helen

Just to be clear, it is chess I pledge not to play, lol.
One of the Scriveners.

TankBeef

Quote from: 73767F7B7C120Just to be clear, it is chess I pledge not to play, lol.

Ohhh!!!  ;D Now I feel dumb. I thought I was going to be safe from your frags after the screenshots humiliation.  ;)