Funny Weight Loss Story

Started by 21, Jan 05, 2012, 01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21

Well, it's the new year. I like most online gamers, probably need to lose some weight.  Actually I needed to lose weight before UT as well.  Anyway it got me thinking about something that happened to me a few years back.  I was really desperate to lose weight, and having tried the usual culprits I decided to give Over-eater's Anonymous a chance.  So I looked online for the nearest location and went to the first class.  Well there must have been 50-60 people there.  Some were outside smoking and some were inside talking before the meeting started.  They had lots of chairs set up and a nice kitchen.  Well being new I walked around to check out the joint.  When I walked to the kitchen they had a tons of food laid out and drinks as well.  I couldn't believe it.  I looked at the people around me and they were pretty normal looking.  No one was obese by any means.  Wow! I thought this program must really work.  People were eating and drinking and no one gave each other any dirty looks. So I grabbed a donut and a juicebox and sat down to wait for the meeting to start.  No one seemed to notice me, even though I was fairly heavy.  So I woofed down my goodies and thought I really liked this class.  Shortly after, a person walked up to the microphone and said "Hi I'm Steve and I'm an Alcoholic". Oh man I panicked.  No wonder no one cared what I ate! So I quietly got up and left and laughed my head off as I drove home.

Hermskii

That story rules! HAHAHA! I can only imagine! thanks for sharing it. Still laughing...
~Peace~

Hermskii

Helen

LOL. And so you never tried to find the right class at another time?
One of the Scriveners.

Hermskii

Wait! I think I saw you there that day!
~Peace~

Hermskii

21

Yeah Hermskii that was me!  LOL...

Helen I did find the right class later, but it was kinda Bible based, instead of motivation based so I only did a couple of visits.  Plus they didn't have any donuts.....

Hermskii

Give some stats.

I am:

44 years old.
6' tall
weigh about 210

I don't look fat but when I'm naked I look about 6 months pregnant. Yeah for me it all goes straight to my face cheeks, chin and mostly to my gut. Most people bet me money I don't weigh over 200 and many think I weigh about 190.

Feel free not to answer with your stats. It's all cool with me.
~Peace~

Hermskii

21

Ah man,
You're at a good weight.  I'm a touch more.

Try 5'9  and 270

I used to lift weights all the time until my joints gave out.  So I have some muscle. My kind wife says I look about 220, but I know how bad I look.  I'm also 44 and I struggled with my weight since I was a kid.  I hardly drink (3-4 beers a month), don't smoke or do drugs, but eating...man. Except in my teenage years when I practically starved myself for 4 years.  Looked good but I couldn't live on 1200 calories a day.  Anyway about the only exercise I can do that doesn't hurt is walking or playing UT (lol).  I know what it takes, but I have lost weight and put it on so many times that I'm almost at the point of why bother.  Trust me I get the quality of life,etc thing but it sucks getting compliments as you lose and sad/disappointing looks as it comes back on. Sorry for the long answer..........

Hermskii

Not a long answer. A great answer. My wife struggles hard like you and has her whole life. She is happy when she is skinny and hates me when she is heavy. I have never mentioned her weight to her ever. We did agree that this year we are both going to try to get in to better shape.

That muscle you earned when you were younger is what is getting you now IMHO. Now you have to slowly get up to speed and reps with zero weight to teach your body you mean business about losing extra pounds. Start slow. Actually...don't listen to me. I don't know. I'll do what I was going to tell you and let you know how it works out. This will start for me right after the superbowl. Never give up!
~Peace~

Hermskii

21

Thanks H,
Ya the Superbowl. That's a pizza day for sure.  Well let me know how your routine works out.  I have a book from the library about using your body as a gym.  It teaches me how to do upside down bodyweight shoulder pushups against the wall. Ya, if I weighed 150 pounds.... maybe.
And a book from the winner of the biggest loser.  According to her all I have to do is go to a remote location and workout 6-8 hours a day.  Sweet. Lol. Not bloody likely.
So far the best book I have read is from Harvey Brooker called "It's Different for Men".  One of his points is that your fellow down below looks smaller when you are heavy. I think he may be right.That might be all the motivation I need.  Lol.

Ray

If this story leads to you becoming an alcoholic...

21

I always wondered if I would be thinner if I drank more.  I wouldn't care, that's for sure......

Hermskii

That looks and sounds like a bot but either way this is an important post to bring back up.

I said earlier I'd start trying to get in better shape after the Superbowl. Well......in a way I have. I quit smoking and quit drinking. The Superbowl was for sure my last day of drink and inside that week after it I quit smoking.

I have gained weight as expected. I went from about 205 up to 225 before I was able to hit the brakes on the gain. I'm back down to about 217 or so. I have not tried so much to lose weight as I have tried to stop gaining it. Success in a way as far as that goes.

Now my wife and I are about to get on our lose weight wagon. It won't be fun. I'm not excited. So far I don't feel healthier for my efforts at all. I know it will take much time. I do like that I don't smell of smoke all of the time but I sure miss smoking. Stopping drinking was easy. It wasn't that i wanted it all of the time. It was that when I drink I drank way too much. Gott go for now. Peace out!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Helen

I agree that sounds like a bot (a post was deleted just above reply #11).

Glad to hear you've kept it up. Nicotine more physically addictive than alcohol, naturally. Stay strong mentally until the physical addiction wanes.

Being in top physical shape is the best high out there. Feel great all day, no side effects. Takes some work to get there, but worth the effort.
One of the Scriveners.

Hermskii

Quote from: 7270717D7F7D6A180Give some stats.

I am:

44 years old.
6' tall
weigh about 210

I don't look fat but when I'm naked I look about 6 months pregnant. Yeah for me it all goes straight to my face cheeks, chin and mostly to my gut. Most people bet me money I don't weigh over 200 and many think I weigh about 190.

Feel free not to answer with your stats. It's all cool with me.


Well now I am:

45 years old
6'0" tall
weigh about 212.

Now try to get this: I lost weight. Yep. I had actually gone up to 226 pounds and then lost 16 getting back down to 210. Then I gained back a few. Now I see how it can be easy with a little will power to lose weight.

My tricks so far are as follows. Eat a breakfast no matter what each day. Drink a big glass of water before all meals. Never eat and then go to bed on a full tummy. Go to bed mildly hungry. Eat less junk food and remove all coke type drinks. Do all of these things and you will lose 20 pounds in less than 2 months for sure. I can only imagine how fast I can lose weight if I start to walk or exercise too. Peace all!
~Peace~

Hermskii