Software for compressing files

Started by 21, Sep 08, 2015, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21

Hello again,
So usually I use UT Comprez for making UZ files, but for whatever reason it comes up with errors now.  Any other programs that you use or recommend?  Thanks...

Helen

One of the Scriveners.


21

See, I knew I could count on you guys!  Thanks, I'll give them a test and see what works for me.  Have a good day!

21

So I tried both compression programs.  Here is what I get:

For Acorp, I get runtime errors.  For CompressAlot I get "no file found errors".    All I was trying to do was compress some maps from my UT/Maps folder  and send them to either Desktop or back to UT/Maps or anywhere I can put them!  Both programs see the files and directories,but then just errors.  I also tried on 2 different pc's. One runs w7 and the other runs win8.1.Any ideas?  Thanks

Helen

One of the Scriveners.

medor

#6
Launch as administrator and maybe under compatibility XP

Have you UT at C:\UnrealTournament and not a false real addressed "program files" ?

21

Hi Medor,
No luck running as admin.  My UT is located at C:\GOG Games\Unreal Tournament GOTY.  Maybe that's why I'm getting runtime errors,etc.

medor

probably

you can try to just rename it UnrealTournament

or you can copy past it at the right place for try and rename it UnrealTournament

If you want a fresh one on C http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/UT_Demo/UnrealTournament-V3.exe

Helen

I tried the compress a lot and it worked, of course.
I did change the Setup - UT Folder value to my main ut install. For example

C:\VT\4364\

and just so you can relate to what that folder is, if I was to list some directories in it, they would be

C:\VT\4364\Maps
C:\VT\4364\System
C:\VT\4364\Textures

etc.
I changed the Setup - Output Folder to

C:\Temp\test\

Then I chose a map to compress, clicked Compress and it worked  :-\
One of the Scriveners.

Hook

Yes, those compressor app's defaults point to a "standard" "C" drive installation.
[size=14]=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net[/size]
[size=12]Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777[/size]

21

Okay, so I couldn't get Medor's compressing software to work, but Helen's does!  Yay!  You guys were right about renaming the UT file.  So now I can add more maps to my server. 

Thanks,
Guys

Hook

[size=14]=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net[/size]
[size=12]Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777[/size]

21


RiTALiN

Hey 21 are you familiar with any good programs to do "BATCH" Extracting of already compressed files? The files in question are about 160GB's worth of lost files from Map-Factory (site is long since down and gone) the files are .uz2 for UT2004 I know how to do it with UCC but am unable to do it for multiple files at once. Like you on any modern operating system (I.e vista & newer) I run into either constant crashes or missing Windows .NET redistributables which are no longer provided by Microsoft. I have been looking for a lot of these lost maps since the site went down but uncompressing files one at a time for 160GB's is ridiculous at best. Hopefully you can steer me in some direction, these past couple weeks have been hell, I just found out a couple days ago after having been in a car accident that my mother not only has lung cancer but 3 tumors in her brain pushing the brain out of alignment. So it's been a fun week or two. I already tried tinyuZ2 and ut2004Mi to no avail. :-/
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.

Helen

Ritalin your personal fortunes just leave me speechless sometimes. I'm sorry about your mum, best of luck to her.

I could try to write a "wrapper" exe that calls ucc in a loop (hopefully not an infinite loop). Probably the first thing i should do is just create a dummy exe that does nothing, but the point is to see if when you run it if it would work or if you would need a distributable like you say. It would need .net either 4.0 or 4.5, can't remember, but that should definitely still be available.
One of the Scriveners.

RiTALiN

Lol, I can agree with that wholeheartedly, they leave me speechless sometimes too, all I can say is when it rain's it pours. Just so your aware if you need me to do any testing I can do that in my time off, and just a side note I do find UCC.exe to be the most reliable in general so i'm thinking something along the line's of a batch script, even if i have to do them single if I can avoid typing out the long strings via cmd prompt it'll be a big help because even with 'TAB' to speed it up half the files have maybe 5x files some sounds , map,textures etc with names that have maybe only 1 character difference towards the end, so TAB really wouldnt speed that up much. I've dealt with lengthy processes before so I mean i "can" do it, i'm just hoping to possibly make it somewhat easier. Also if it requires .NET 4 or 4.5 that's beautiful it's .NET 1x to 2.5x that are problematic.I'm running the same OS as you I believe, Win 7 x64 Enterprise.
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.

Helen

Basically done, but I have to go out soon and I don't want to rush my testing, so maybe later tonite.

BTW, I "assumed" something, I "assume" that all the files you want to decompress are within the root of a single directory. Can you tell me if this is the case or not.
One of the Scriveners.

Helen

One of the Scriveners.

RiTALiN

sorry for the late reply, this is my first day off, yes all the files are in a single directory. I will test your new release tonight considering im off till thursday. Thanks for taking the time to make that, once again you are excellent.
Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.