Spawn protection on the server - how it works

Started by Helen, Aug 12, 2012, 06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helen

The spawn protection and penalty systems have been updated. Here's the lowdown.

Terminology the for actors in this drama:

BOT - a bot
PLAYER - a real life person
PAWN - this is either a PLAYER or a BOT.


-- HOW PROTECTION WORKS --

For the first second after spawning, a pawn is protected from any damage, no matter what. Following this first second is an additional three seconds of conditional protection. This protection period will last three seconds, unless the pawn either fires a weapon or picks up a weapon, which simply causes the protection to expire early.


-- HOW THE PENALTY SYSTEM WORKS --

A player will get penalized for shooting another protected player. One exception, if the shooting player hits a protected player with a redeemer, there will be no penalty (because it is too easy for this to happen accidentally).

The penalty amount (health reduction) the shooting player receives is the same amount of damage that would have occurred to the protected player (although, the shooting player will not die due to penalties - the lowest their health will go is the minimum of 1).


-- MORE INFO --

You can tell when a pawn is protected because of the teleport rings surrounding them. All player's will have purple teleport rings, to easily distinguish them from bots. The bots telering color will be their team color, and I added an orange one for the non-team.

A player will get messages in their hud when their health is getting penalized. This message also comes with a beep.

-- FIN --

Okay! I can't wait to try it with real players to make sure it doesn't have any bugs, aheh. We can also see if you want the messages or beep turned off, those are optional.

One of the Scriveners.

Hermskii

What? is this your own or a mod you got somewhere? When did this start?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Helen

The mutator was originally CCProtector, of which I have previously released subsequent versions. This weekend I modded it more, not with a vanilla release in mind, but rather to tailor what I wanted for the server.

I'm going to adjust it some more, I'm going to make all the players spawn in purple, and the bots will have team colors. That way it's easy to know to avoid the purple so you don't incur penalties.

I'll post this version of the mutator eventually in the mutators section once I'm happy with the tweaks.
One of the Scriveners.

Hermskii

~Peace~

Hermskii

Helen

Updated the first post. Basically all players have PURPLE rings, and the bots have team color rings, with orange for the non-team color.
One of the Scriveners.

5L3V1N

I got caught in two players crossfire twice spawning and got creamed but it the heat of the action. I've done it myself in an instant reaction not on purpose. Apologies to all players that got caught in my fire like this.

Helen

Just remember when you spawn not to pull your trigger. This gives you 4 full seconds of protection. Also take note of a player who was shooting you when you were protected, and then go after him, because his health will probably be very low due to the health penalties.
One of the Scriveners.

5L3V1N

Ah, didn't realise pulling the trigger bit. Thanks!  ;D

Tempest

Are bots get the same health penalty when they hit a newly spawned player? It doesn't seem like it :(

Helen

The bots do not get penalized, they have no clue what spawn protection is :)
One of the Scriveners.