Fear Map

Started by 21, Jun 21, 2013, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21

So.....I was playing in the server just now and the next map up in the rotation was Fear.   I was thinking to myself, I remember fear.  It's kinda small with that uncomfortable picture on the wall. Well I figured I would pass.  Good thing I didn't!  It has been totally updated and there are new, ah, textures, on the walls now.  I would have to say...Good job Helen.  I think the map was good as I was doing more sightseeing than killing....lol.   Well done H!

Helen

#1
:)) It doesn't matter where you get your appetite, as long as you eat at home :))

Other notes that will be extremely important to no one in a hundred years:
  • Though it's just a Second Edition, I started it from scratch. Way easier to do that sometimes. This was a very simple map to begin with.
  • Bottoms of the ladders have normal access (remember the old one? The hidden staircase protruded out 10 feet lol).
  • Rocket, mini, and flak up top, but you have to descend a bit to get more ammo for them, and you have to go to the bottom if you want health. The top is more advantageous so ammo and health placement forces you to descend.
  • Added in more weaps than original map (shock, ripper, pulse).
  • The shock rifle on the small ledge, that was the first idea that got me redoing the map. It's a small ledge, so if someone is up there, throw some rockets that way and he'll have no choice but to jump down. There's a spawnpoint up there, and it's within hammerjump distance from two spots.
  • Depth and width of entire map is maybe 10 - 15% larger than original.
  • You can get up top, but it is a pain zone, loss of 15 health per second.
  • Lighting copied from Foom (ok I was lazy).
  • The idea of splitting the water in half came late, I was test-playing it (water hadn't been added yet), jumped down, and thought it was cool running around down there. It wound up being a great addition.
  • The pics... when it was done the walls looked kinda bare... now you could say it's the pictures that are kind of bare...
Geez, look at me rambling on. Oh! One more.
  • Trim. I love doing trim. Sometimes the thought of adding some trim to a map is why I start redoing it :). I learned how to do it late in my mapping career so my first generation maps don't have it. Now that I know how I think it is the cat's pajamas.
One of the Scriveners.

21

Ya, cool map for sure.  I like your thought process.  I think I should look into this map making thing.  On second thought....