the mountain

Unreal Tournament 99 => Mount St. Helen Server => Topic started by: Helen on Apr 22, 2018, 01:47 PM

Title: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: Helen on Apr 22, 2018, 01:47 PM
On the mountain and island, I have made it so that you can have a different crosshair for each weapon. You just have to know how to make a texture file.

You do not have to provide the alternate crosshair for every single weapon, only for the weapons you want to override. The other weapons would just continue to use your normal crosshair.

I have provided example texture files here:
//www.birdieman.com/downloads/medMunitionCross000.utx (made for 1920 x 1080 desktop resolution and higher)
//www.birdieman.com/downloads/medMunitionCross000.utx.1680x1050  (made for 1680 x 1050 desktop resolution and lower, take the .1920x1080 off the end of the file name)

This has an alternative for each crosshairs in it just so you can see them working, but again, you do not have to override every one. If you drop this into your textures directory, and then join the servers and pick up some weapons and start scrolling through them, you'll see a crosshair for each of them. Some examples:

Mini:
(http://www.birdieman.com/pics/forum/ccmini.jpg)

Rocket:
(http://www.birdieman.com/pics/forum/ccrocket.jpg)

Sniper (NOT zoomed in!):
(http://www.birdieman.com/pics/forum/ccsniper.jpg)

Hammer:
(http://www.birdieman.com/pics/forum/cchammer.jpg)

Ok here are the basic requirements.

The name of the file MUST be: medMunitionCross000.utx
You have make an edit to the system\medMunitionConfig.ini file, open that up, find where it says useMedMunitionCross=false, and change it to useMedMunitionCross=true.

For the crosshairs you want to override, their corresponding texture names would be one of these:
bio
chainsaw
enforcer
flak
hammer
mini
pulse
rezzer
ripper
rocket
rocketlock
shock
sniper
sniperscope
supershock
trans

The majority of the textures need to be 64x64 pixels. The exceptions are:

All textures must be 256 colors or less (but you know that already :) )

So for example if you just wanted a custom crosshair for mini and flak, you have a texture file called medMunitionCross000.utx, and it would just have two textures in it called flak and mini. That's it really.

Any questions let me know.
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: 21 on Apr 22, 2018, 04:46 PM
Hi H,
I created a medMunitionCross000.utx folder, but I can't open your utx file to add to it.  It says it's in unknown format or damaged.  Even from your Birdieland site. Can you add it as a server package?

Thanks!
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: medor on Apr 22, 2018, 06:28 PM
Can we do an animated crosshair ?
Like this logo http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2306
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: RiTALiN on Apr 22, 2018, 06:52 PM
Will try in about half an hour. If I get it working I'll PM you with details @ 21. Also regarding Medor's post....would be pretty cool I gotta say!  ....that decision is up to Helen sadly. I recommend it though. Maybe even with a scoping sound! I must say though, it's good to see Helen messing around with Textures a lot more recently. The blue gun turned out amazing, think everyone is happy with it but not 100% sure. Good idea though ^5 medor! :D
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: Helen on Apr 22, 2018, 07:27 PM
Quote from: 6D74697B7C71711D0I created a medMunitionCross000.utx folder...
Not quite sure what you did, but you don't create a folder. If your ut lives at C:\UnrealTournament for example, then the location of the file would be C:\UnrealTournament\Textures\medMunitionCross000.utx

I tested the download file, it is good, maybe try downloading it again if you had a corrupt download.

Quote from: 707879726F707879726F1D0Can we do an animated crosshair ?
I will try that out next weekend, my coding is done for this weekend :)
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: 21 on Apr 22, 2018, 11:53 PM
Okay so I tried with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.  Instead of downloading, this is what happens when I click on the file:

Áƒ*žE  <------------a whole page of this stuff!!!
)@
¼ú
§ú
@@
—g@@
lC¢
æ
GGGGGGG//GGG//GGGGG///GGGG@@



Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: Helen on Apr 23, 2018, 11:59 AM
This morning I did the download process on my work laptop, using chrome, and it was all good. When you click on the download link, you might have a default option set (in chrome) to "open" the file. You need to change it to "download" the file, or for it to ask you if you want to open it or download it, so you can then choose to download it.
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: 21 on Apr 24, 2018, 09:18 AM
Lesson for today...Old people like me should just uninstall the game and leave all this fancy computer stuff to young people...lol.

Okay got it working. Whew.  Normally when I click on a file to download, it gives me options.
However, this one didn't.  When I clicked on it, the message was that it was corrupt, etc.  So I assumed it wasn't downloading. Just now I checked my downloads files and there it was as a Winrar file.  I just dragged it to textures and now it works. 

Anyway, I love the new scopes.  Wish I could use them everywhere!  Thanks for the help.

Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: RiTALiN on Apr 24, 2018, 02:05 PM
Quote from: 677E6371767B7B170Okay got it working. Whew.Normally when I click on a file to download, it gives me options.
However, this one didn't.When I clicked on it, the message was that it was corrupt, etc.So I assumed it wasn't downloading.

This message is common "This archive is corrupted or damaged" when there is a pre-existing file association such as to open this type of file with this program....etc.

Yeah i got them showing up simply by adding it to textures, however.....need's more unique crosshairs!  ;D Do like the color switch for say Minigun, rocket, shock, my flak is still lovely orange etc. Not so crazy about the sniper scope but while switching to zoom I can see where even the color makes sense, keeps it consistent. Overall I'd rate in current state 7 out of 10. First....it works. As described so there is 5 points regardless. Second it's at least ut2004-isshhh with the Auto changing colors so that helps. So point for that too. Plus some like the flak crosshair seem to be almost taken from Unreal 2 The Awakening, so visually they fit too...another point! Keep it going H! Possible for a grey or dark red scope line/xhair? Although to be fair I have indeed seen a orange snipe xhair with multiple games, mostly high tech based shooters.
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: Helen on Apr 24, 2018, 10:41 PM
Hey guys, to repeat, YOU GET TO EDIT THIS FILE! All those crosshairs in there are just examples, you get to CHANGE THEM TO WHATEVER YOU WANT!

That is the gist of this, not for me to push my crosshairs on you, but for you to choose and make your own if you want. That is why it is not a shared package file, because everybody can have their own version. So:

I'm so excited! lol.
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: RiTALiN on Apr 24, 2018, 11:38 PM
Awesomesauce. Will try editing a couple myself and post my results :D
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: vankuss on Apr 30, 2018, 02:57 PM
does this change the sniper's crosshair when zoomed in (secondary fire)?
other weaps are using the normal patsui crosshair which i use, but i didn't modify anything.
not that i don't like it, am just wondering
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: Helen on Apr 30, 2018, 05:49 PM
The example file does have a sniper zoom yes. But that is up to you if you want to use it, you get to edit the file, all details above.
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: RiTALiN on May 10, 2018, 06:26 PM
Edited two of my own but will make more and release here as a pack but my xhair progress so far. I'm a huge fan of multicolored crosshairs so.
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: Helen on May 10, 2018, 11:40 PM
groovy, thanks for sharing :)
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: Helen on May 13, 2018, 12:31 PM
Quote from: 0E06070C110E06070C11630Can we do an animated crosshair ?
Yes. You have to make the animation yourself though using multiple textures. If someone wants to try that, let me know and I'll post the steps with an example.
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: RiTALiN on May 14, 2018, 05:29 PM
Quote from: 7E76777C617E76777C61130Can we do an animated crosshair ?

Was actually gonna ask this same question!

Quote from: 72777E7A7D130Yes. You have to make the animation yourself though using multiple textures. If someone wants to try that, let me know and I'll post the steps with an example. 

Let's do it! I'll see what I can come up with.
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: Helen on May 15, 2018, 11:14 PM
Quote from: 4854695258594E54595D581C0Let's do it!

a. First you have to "make" your animation. This is just a sequence of textures that when flipped through fast enough, it looks like it is showing animation. Think of each texture as a frame in a film. It can be a one-shot film, or a looping film.

b. Import your textures into the package. Only the first texture in the sequence has to follow the naming rules above. So if you are doing an animation for the rocket launcher, then the first texture must still be named "rocket". The others can be named what you want, but here is my suggestion for naming so that they are in order in the package: rocket, rocket02, rocket03, rocket04, ... etc. The extra zero helps for when you have 10 or more frames, it really helps to have them in order in the package.

c. In the package editor, right-click on the first texture ("rocket"), and click Properties. The first property you see is Animation. Expand this. Then you will see a property called AnimNext. Type in "rocket02" (without the quotes) and press enter. Then close the property window for the texture. Then right-click on "rocket02" and repeat, except of course AnimNext will be "rocket03". This is how you chain them together.

d. If this is a one-shot film, you do nothing with the last texture in the sequence. If this is a looping film, then you point the last texture to the first texture.

e. Now right-click on the first texture again and select properties. Expand Animation. Ok change the MaxFrameRate value to 5. You should now see your animation in action in the picture on that property window! Experiment with the MaxFrameRate. A higher value makes it go faster.

Let me know if you need more detail.
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: RiTALiN on May 16, 2018, 12:58 AM
Cool, picking up 16GB's of RAM in the morning. Will try in the afternoon. Thank's for the instructions!
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: medor on May 16, 2018, 02:22 AM
Video tuto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=412_K3XAK_Y
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: Helen on Jun 26, 2018, 09:14 PM
I have a new laptop and new monitor, and thus a new screen resolution. Now my original sample crosshairs appear huge. I uploaded another example file for 1920 x 1080, see the original post for the link.
Title: Re: Optional custom crosshair PER WEAPON
Post by: Helen on Feb 09, 2019, 05:22 PM
Added support for these two textures:

rezzer
rocketlock

I have done some updates to my textures in the 1920 x 1080 file.

See the original post for info.