the mountain

Unreal Tournament 99 => the world of UT 99 => Topic started by: lolzsec on Jul 21, 2014, 06:49 PM

Title: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 21, 2014, 06:49 PM
I am working on a UT99 Map called DM-Bonescraper it is a port from the UT3 version.  New to this editor but familiar with the UT3 editor hopefully it is an easy transition.  I will post updated pics when ready.

Game: Unreal Tournament
     Level Name: Bonescraper
     Game Type: DeathMatch
     Botmatch: Yes
     Single Player: No
     Teamplay: Yes
     New Textures: No
     New Sounds: No
     New Music: No
     New Mutators: No
     Mods: No

Ideal Playercount: 2 - 4
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: RiTALiN on Jul 21, 2014, 09:20 PM
The map name sounds familier, i probably HAVE played it before, i had a 30GB archive i had made of different gameplay types and maps for my own sanity. I'll double check tonight tho. I always liked the remade maps from UT99, maybe they'll be equally as good in reverse, cool idea.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: RiTALiN on Jul 21, 2014, 10:40 PM
Found this in a casual search, if you were looking for help in a remake, you might try and team up with this guy, and yeah i remember this map, it is widely used to teach wall dodging due to the layout. Helen has a map on here called Bonestreet i believe, nice z-axis and some crazy frantik gameplay.

http://www.deathox8.com/WIP/DM-Bonescraper-Classic.html
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 22, 2014, 09:21 AM
I have reached out to Deathox8, we will see if he replies.  Thanks Ritalin.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Jul 22, 2014, 10:53 AM
Quote from: 7864596268697E64696D682C0Helen has a map on here called Bonestreet i believe, nice z-axis and some crazy frantik gameplay.
That would be DM-BoneMill][  :)  http://www.birdieman.com/stats/2014/07/20140721.1909.48.DM.BoneMill%5D%5Bst.7777.htm


Quote from: 7864596268697E64696D682C0http://www.deathox8.com/WIP/DM-Bonescraper-Classic.html
Sweet if someone has done it already. I took a peek at some of his screenshots, it reminded me of another map I used to have on here a few years ago, DM-Antargos, here's one of the stat summaries for it: http://www.birdieman.com/stats/2011/08/20110824.1103.40.DM.Antargos.7777.htm
I took it off eventually because I thought it was a bit laggy. I'll have to crack it open to see if there's anything I can do about that.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 22, 2014, 07:14 PM
Progress So far- Blocking in the Geometry, ramps, walkways etc.  I need to brush up on my 2d Editor and other tools that can make manipulating brushes into shapes easier.
(http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/lolzsec/DM-Bonescraper_zpsc06a132d.jpg) (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/lolzsec/media/DM-Bonescraper_zpsc06a132d.jpg.html)
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 24, 2014, 12:54 PM
Assistance Needed Please-
I have here a complex looking brush with a ramp on it from the UT3 version of this map that I have highlighted in the screenshot below:
(http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/lolzsec/BrushUT3_zpse3adf911.jpg) (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/lolzsec/media/BrushUT3_zpse3adf911.jpg.html)

Here is what I have accomplished so far in UT99 when trying to replicate:
(http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/lolzsec/BrushUT99_zpsb731e1bc.jpg) (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/lolzsec/media/BrushUT99_zpsb731e1bc.jpg.html)

I tried editing using the Vertex editing mode but can't seem to just grab run vertex, I use the (Cntr + alt and LMB to highlight the point and it grabs all the vertices, I tried just holding (Cntrl +LMB) and doesn't grab the one vertex.  Is there an easy way to replicate the ut3 version of this brush to the ut99 version or will I need to build it out in the 2D editor (more time consuming).  Another Question is- I noticed that the ut3 level is made from 3072x3072x1280 units high, in Ut99 however this looks way oversized, is there a unit conversion to follow from going from ut3 maps to ut99 maps, I think following the same brush geometry metrics will be too large for the ut99 version. Let me know any tips and tricks and if what I am saying makes sense before I continue forward.  Thanks.

Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: RiTALiN on Jul 24, 2014, 02:55 PM
This link may be of some use in that regard, however you'd have to reverse it.

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/588848-UT3-Converter2-0-25c-01-22-2012
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 24, 2014, 03:31 PM
Quote from: 4D516C575D5C4B515C585D190This link may be of some use in that regard, however you'd have to reverse it.

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/588848-UT3-Converter2-0-25c-01-22-2012
I actually tried this but it doesn't convert UT3 > UT99 maps only the opposite.  So building it from scratch seems to be my option.  Thanks though.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: StivBators on Jul 24, 2014, 04:52 PM
Are you using the vertex editing button? Grab the top corner from side view and edit it.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 24, 2014, 05:39 PM
I tried to grab it with the vertex editor but it grabs more than one point so it manipulates 2 vertices.  It won't let me grab just one from the side or front views either.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 24, 2014, 06:14 PM
Progress thus Far:
(http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/lolzsec/Progress_zpsb9fd3e50.jpg) (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/lolzsec/media/Progress_zpsb9fd3e50.jpg.html)
Let me know what you think or if you see any issues?  Thanks.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: StivBators on Jul 24, 2014, 10:45 PM
Well I edited two points on each brush to make this similar shape. It's not exact to what you need but it can be done this way.

http://youtu.be/F9AAK8WJiz0
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Jul 24, 2014, 10:52 PM
Stiv, how do you make that video again? I could get those brushes even more refined, and showing it by video would be best.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: StivBators on Jul 24, 2014, 10:57 PM
Nvidia "ShadowPlay" ,it came with my nvidia card drivers. I tried "Fraps" but it didn't work.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 24, 2014, 11:15 PM
I still dont know how you did it without grabbing more than one vertex? The editor on my end grabs more than one.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Jul 24, 2014, 11:32 PM
Quote from: 6A4C495C4B7B5C5C390Nvidia "ShadowPlay" ,it came with my nvidia card drivers. I tried "Fraps" but it didn't work
Rats you need at least windows 7 for that.
Quote from: 5450525C390I still dont know how you did it without grabbing more than one vertex? The editor on my end grabs more than one.
Are you doing this?
That should move the single vertex you selected.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: StivBators on Jul 25, 2014, 07:45 AM
Quote from: 6F6A6367600E0Are you doing this?single click on vertex so that red cross appears over it.Hold down the Alt button.Hold down the left-click button.Now drag the mouse (while holding down Alt and Left-click).That should move the single vertex you selected.
Use this method above without clicking on the vertex edit button.

My point in the video was that I made that scene by grabbing 2 vertices on each brush, basically making a wedge shape and then overlapping them. Look closely at the additive brushes.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 25, 2014, 10:53 AM
That did the trick, thank you.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 25, 2014, 11:58 AM
Okay, I know this a little ahead of myself but before I delve too deep, how do I create the Trim look as in the UT3 screenshot, looks clean and professional, my version below however does not and  I could not find a tutorial to show how to do trim, my guess is to create a sheet and apply the trim to that?

UT3 Map with Trim on Walls/Floor, they manage to incorporate several textures into one(using Materials I suppose). I would like to create a similar look.
(http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/lolzsec/UT3_TRim_zpsd2e56f78.jpg) (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/lolzsec/media/UT3_TRim_zpsd2e56f78.jpg.html)


My UT99 map current with same texture no trim
(http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/lolzsec/UT99-NoTrim_zpsb038f1e9.jpg) (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/lolzsec/media/UT99-NoTrim_zpsb038f1e9.jpg.html)
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: StivBators on Jul 25, 2014, 03:12 PM
Use additive brushes along the edges and texture appropriately.  You can sink these right into your brushwork.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 25, 2014, 03:19 PM
Wow I though about that but man that will be a lot of work, so you can add an additive brush inside another additive brush without creating problems?  Thanks.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Jul 25, 2014, 04:59 PM
I used snagit, sorry, CHEAP CHEAP microphone, cuts out all the time, but lucky the important stuff you can hear, the rest you can figure out by watching.

trim example
http://youtu.be/LiuFLGQxMEw

ramp example by subtracting one from another
http://youtu.be/heMM98ZTEjs
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 25, 2014, 05:07 PM
Thank you so much, this map is actually coming together nicely.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Jul 25, 2014, 07:01 PM
Another way to do those two ramps.
Audio better, video quality worse, lol.
http://youtu.be/wCG1tYVXZC0
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: StivBators on Jul 25, 2014, 07:14 PM
Nice tutorials, I learned some new stuff ! Thanks
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 25, 2014, 07:15 PM
Again thank you, how about if a brush that is rotated 45 degress does not want to line up to the grid even right clicking the vertex does not snap it all the way to the grid?
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Jul 25, 2014, 08:17 PM
Show me a pic from the ut3 map for what you need to do.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 25, 2014, 08:33 PM
Here is the UT3 version, basically a corner ramp that goes down into a smaller section. I can't seem to get the ramp perfectly aligned in the ut99 editor, grid is set to 16. I tried setting grid to 1 and still won't align.
(http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/lolzsec/ut3ramp_zps6f3454c1.jpg) (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/lolzsec/media/ut3ramp_zps6f3454c1.jpg.html)



UT99
(http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/lolzsec/ut99ramp_zps1290ab75.jpg) (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/lolzsec/media/ut99ramp_zps1290ab75.jpg.html) The top viewport shows that small corner won't light up with the vertex point, I also tried Intersecting/Deintersecting the brush and never turned out right.  Thanks for any feedback.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Jul 25, 2014, 09:38 PM
You can't rotate, you need to build by putting vertices where you want. I hope this vid is what you need:
http://youtu.be/Jio1NMimkEs
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 25, 2014, 10:16 PM
Perfect, thank you.  It works
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 27, 2014, 04:50 PM
Hello,
I need to create a Jump Pad but not sure how to do it, In my screenshot I highlighted and Placed a "J', in the location I need a jump pad.  Where in the Actor Class browser can I add this?  Thanks.

(http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/lolzsec/JumpPads_zps0206c638.jpg) (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/lolzsec/media/JumpPads_zps0206c638.jpg.html)
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Jul 27, 2014, 05:11 PM
I'm in and out, so quick example for now.
Just crack open DM-Empowered][ and look at one in there. You need:

Actor / NavigationPoint / LiftExit (x 2)
Actor / NavigationPoint / LiftCenter
Actor / Triggers / Kicker

You need to look at these properties:
LiftExit: LiftExit / LiftTag
LiftCenter: LiftCenter / LiftTag
Kicker: Kicker / KickVelocity (these numbers indicate how much 'push' to give in each direction)


Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 27, 2014, 05:21 PM
Playing around with it now.  Thanks. I opened DM-Cybrosis.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 28, 2014, 09:18 AM
Here are my results of the map so far, if someone would like to test flow or errors before I get too crazy in texturing this thing. Also some jump pads have been placed and all lifts should work.   Let me know what you think.  Thank you.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: RiTALiN on Jul 28, 2014, 12:07 PM
i'll test in an hour or so, you've moved quite fast with this, glad to see your getting used to the older editor!
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 28, 2014, 03:58 PM
I must admit I miss this a lot.  Thanks for all the help, you created a new mapper, congrats lol.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: RiTALiN on Jul 28, 2014, 05:35 PM
That section where you were having the linup issue is rock solid now. Only 1 issue, 1 of the non-square elevators is inoperable. Other than that, flawless far as i can tell.
Size conversion looks good too.  ;)
GooD WoRK!
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 28, 2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks much. The texturing will take me awhile.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: StivBators on Jul 28, 2014, 06:04 PM
This lift comes up too high. And the bots seem to bounce straight up and down on the jump pad.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 28, 2014, 07:32 PM
HMm, there is no bot pathing in place at the moment so I wouldn't expect the bots to do much other than shoot at you currently.  I will check the lift, must have gotten off center when I thought I clicked the builder brush.  Thanks.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Jul 28, 2014, 09:40 PM
Hot weather and a heavy workload means I will look at this on the weekend! (Hot weather means I don't go upstairs to turn on my home pc).
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 AM
Appreciate it.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 29, 2014, 07:18 PM
Having an issue with this floor ramp trim, seems to be a BSP or hole in the floor effect. Any ideas?(http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/lolzsec/RampTrim_zps4a5ac6d8.jpg)[/URL]
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Jul 29, 2014, 09:48 PM
From the side view, it looks like you have bent it into a shape that isn't kosher. If you attach a version of the map with that brush in it, I could edit it.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Jul 30, 2014, 06:38 PM
I was to fix, just didn't know where the issue was.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Aug 04, 2014, 10:04 AM
I will continue more work on this once I finish my degree this month, the term ends August 30th then I can have this weight lifted off of me and get to all my hobbies.  It may be a few weeks till I am back online in the game scene with you guys but I will be back.  Thank you!
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: RiTALiN on Aug 08, 2014, 02:45 PM
What Degree are you pursuing???? & Good that you are!
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Aug 08, 2014, 07:05 PM
Masters in Information security and assurance via WGU online.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: RiTALiN on Aug 10, 2014, 09:20 PM
Awesome! Nice Choice, am i correct in assuming your referring to Internet Security?
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Aug 11, 2014, 12:09 PM
Yes, Internet Computer Security/hacking.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Hook on Aug 11, 2014, 04:34 PM
Ah, a good brain to pick if needed? ;)
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Aug 12, 2014, 08:57 PM
Quote from: 4542424649484B54152D0Ah, a good brain to pick if needed? ;)
Yes Sir, I am here to help.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: Helen on Aug 13, 2014, 09:50 AM
I had a look a the map a couple weeks ago. It is a good job considering it is your first time with the editor.

I know you are hoping I put it in the rotation. I hope you don't mind, but I would like to tweak it when it is done. I mean yours will be the official converted version, because that is what you are doing, a faithful conversion. I'd just like to have a tweaked version on the server, if that is ok.
Title: Re: DM-Bonescraper
Post by: lolzsec on Aug 13, 2014, 10:07 AM
That is absolutely fine Helen, make any changes, the maps was originally designed for UT3 which meant wall dodging was possible, however since we can't do that in UT99, the map will still make for some nice frags from the many different ramps. Thanks.