Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Feign death (Read 874 times)
Se7eN

Hello

Feign death
Feb 20th, 2022 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Presenting: Feign Death - A Mount Saint Helen's short film.

Grin

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: Feign death
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2022 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
In one of my many perfect alternate realities, a billion people still play UT99, so there are plenty of players to go around for everyone, so I would have both a regular server, and a server for newbs only. I want to encourage new players to keep at it.

So Se7en, I appreciate it when you take it easy on players. Newer players need to be encouraged to keep going long enough to get start getting a little bit of skill and get them hooked enough to keep coming back.

Sometimes I know though, you just want to PLAY! So what I do is say I won't pick up any kind of health (med box, vials, armor, pads, keg), and I can only use flak, bio, and hammer. That way I get to try hard without discouraging the crowd from staying. This is just one combination I think of, it depends on the crowd. This is just a suggestion so it stays fun for you too.

Something else I like to do (this is not a suggestion, I'm just letting the folks know this). Let's say there is a really good player on, as well as other lesser skilled players. And the good player is going as hard as he can. What I will do is try to target just that player, to try and peel some of his health off so that others can get him. It is funny that I will spot my target player across the map, and I am trying to pepper him, meanwhile I know another player has found me and is going to blow me away with rockets as I crouch there, lol.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

TankBeef

Hello

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2022 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Part of what I like about the server.  But seriously, now that I have been here a while, I do not mind at all when you decide to go zero frags on me. Well, maybe if you did that the first day, I would had thrown the towel.  Grin But now it is perfectly ok.

IP Logged

Dr Boo

Hello

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2022 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I totally understand the frustration a new player can feel going up against others that are exceptionally skilled. That happened to me with CounterStrike. I played it once and that was it. To Helen’s point, I’m hooked on UT so it doesn’t bother me when I’m kicked around. His suggestion works both ways though. If I am in the server and totally outmatched, I’ll target the strongest player and try and score at least one kill against them. This often leaves me as fodder as evidenced by my high death ratio! But it keeps it interesting for me. Se7eN, I love playing against you. I appreciate those times you are often holding back and take great pleasure in those kills against you when you are not!

IP Logged

Se7eN

Hello

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2022 at 1:39am
Print Post  
No problem Helen. I really appreciate the community you've garnered here and I treat it accordingly.

There are times where I feel the need to "let go", and I like to think I've come to know the players enough to know who it's ok to do so with. But most of the time I don't care to try hard. Shooting the guns with the guys is where I get the majority of my satisfaction, regardless of how many frags I get or not. I'll "unleash the hounds!" maybe 1 out of 3-5 maps (depending on who's playing), which I think is a reasonable balance.

I often give myself challenges the likes of which you described; Bio only, Enforcer only, Piston only etc... though I think I'll yoink your tip of not using health and armor pickups sometimes, that's a neat one I haven't tried yet.

Quote:
I totally understand the frustration a new player can feel going up against others that are exceptionally skilled.

I can relate as well, I remember what it feels like to be on the receiving end of that. There's a certain sweet-spot for players to be able to learn, and getting stomped to the point where you can barely play is not one of them, nor is it fun. 

We're lucky to even have a UT99 community the likes of MSH in 2022, and the last thing I want to do is negatively impact said community. If anything, I'd like to do things to keep/bring it together.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2022 at 12:55am by Se7eN »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint