Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The "unaccessible" game? (Read 713 times)
TankBeef

Hello

The "unaccessible" game?
Aug 15th, 2021 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Ok, I decided to post this here, cause after more than 18,000 frags, many of you know me and have played with me in the mountain, you know my play style, you know I am far from pro, and although I have managed to win some matches, I still make many noob mistakes, I struggle a lot, but something I do not do is quit, cause I love this game a lot, UT is simply awesome, no matter what.
After this intro, lets get to the issue. I have never joined reddit, but once in a while I like to browse some of the subreddits, and there is this particular "Arena FPS" one. And they posted some sort of graph which I will attach here. On one end it puts a game like Halo as "accessible" and a game like UT or Quake as "unaccessible". And I am like...really?  Huh Now I don't know what criteria these people are using, but my personal opinion, UT is far from unaccessible (I even think I wrote Helen about this before). This is one of the most flexible games ever. You can bring the bots down to novice and you are guaranteed to win with the most basic moves. Really, if you struggle with a bot on novice, you should find some other form of entertainment.  Grin This game is in the "very easy to learn, very hard to master" category. Or am I wrong?
Something I have noticed about this particular subreddit, ArenaFPS. In theory, it is about Quake, UT and similar games. In practice, they consider Quake the "superior game".  Sad The post have a very "elitist" tone, at least that is my perception. And they mostly talk about games that are Quake clones, more than anything. I will say this: I have played some Q3A, I have managed to finish the ladder and beat Xaero (ok, on Bring It On difficulty, but still...), I tried Xonotic, I even tried some Quake Champions once. And you know what? I would not trade UT for anything. I since uninstalled all those mentioned games, cause I am focusing exclusively on this one. I will make an effort to get better everyday, learn from my mistakes, I will approach it more casually than competitively though, cause in the end it is all about having fun. But the bottom line, this is an accessible game. Very accessible. I mean, If I have learned to play it, there is no reason anyone else could not.

unaccessible.png ( 11 KB | 21 Downloads )
unaccessible.png

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: The "unaccessible" game?
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I don't understand what they mean by unaccessible. Hard to get the game? That doesn't make sense though. I don't know what they are talking about.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

TankBeef

Hello

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Well, I don't know if I should post the link, I really don't think it is worth it. First of all I am not a member, and second, the thread has diverted into something totally different, now they are discussing if Halo should be considered a game similar to UT.  Sad
The point is, they should not scare people into trying this game, cause it is fun, at least I have lots of fun.
You know, I tried the Halo PC port once, there is a multiplayer version, but I quickly got bored. The game is so slow, there is a lot of weapon reloading, and they are very similar, and you can't carry more than two. And there is no dodging. What Halo did was take lots of things from UT, literally the "Killing Sprees" and "Double Kills" and the game modes, and watered them down for the consoles. Now they all think Halo created these things.  Sad
But does this make UT "unaccessible" (whatever it means)? I don't think so.

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Years ago I watched co-workers playing some Counter Strike at lunch. Zzzzzzzzzz. So I know what you mean.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Dr Boo

Hello

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I've got both CS and Halo.  Quickly tired of them both decades ago.  UT is the only FPS I've played that keeps me coming back for daily punishment.

IP Logged

TankBeef

Hello

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 12:46am
Print Post  
To be fair, at least Counter-Strike did not get "consolized". Always been a mouse & keyboard game. But yes, too team oriented, no respawn, have to wait for the round to end, and personally it stresses me too much, while UT relaxes me, even when losing.  Grin
I did like the original Half-Life, one of the few PC games where I played the campaign to the end. These days I don't have the time or energy to play single player games to the end. But UT, there is always time for a few matches.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint