Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Xvehicles from Feralidragon (Read 1358 times)
Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Xvehicles from Feralidragon
Jan 3rd, 2019 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Among many things I wanted to checkout that I missed over the last 6 months were Ferali's xvehicles, which turned to be a tad trickier than I thought as there's no mutator. You either have to edit them onto maps or build your own; I went with the former over the latter.

If you don't already have them, they're available here · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12911

Initially I was a bit confused how to drive them, as I usually play with a full HUD and the directions for driving are in the upper-right corner of the screen.

MonsterHunt seemed ideal to test on, I edited up 3 maps with various vehicles... but only 3 as not many MH maps had room for tanks.

Most of the tanks have 2 sets of guns, the main cannon and an alternate smaller weapon. The ability to switch seats didn't work out well for me to use the smaller guns, but fortunately bots were willing to hop in and handle that. Not all the tanks have a secondary gun.

Jeeps have guns that can only be used by a passenger, only weapon the driver has is honking the horn.

Once in a vehicle you can hop out anytime you want, but bots are kind of trapped...

Monsters react differently to the vehicles. While I still haven't gotten around to determining if standard SkaarjTroopers can drive the vehicles (monster, not the playermodel) I've noticed that most of the monsters react to them like they would any normal player... with 1 notable exception:

MH-Xvehicles-LostInTime: The dinos from Jurassic.u completely ignore players in the xvehicles. Even after you shoot them they act as though they can't see you, unless you hop out in which case they'll try and eat you immediately... but if you hop back in they can't see you again.

I may do some edits of CTF, if I've got maps that are big enough for tanks. Kinda curious to see if I can take an enemy flag and drive it back to my own base.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: Xvehicles from Feralidragon
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Ray wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 2:52am:
You either have to edit them onto maps or build your own

• Build your own? Like make your own mutator that derives from this one?
  • Can the tanks take damage/be destroyed?
  • Can those Tread Craft keys be changed?

Questions that, when I am not so lazy, I could probably find out by going to your link. As it is, it is bath time.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 12:13am
Print Post  
1) Not a new mutator, though Ferali did leave source code to the xvehicles at the link I provided.

I meant make a new map.

2) Oh yes.... and they're quite explosive.

Also can't go undwerwater, I made a submarine attempt... it was bad.

3) Not sure what you mean.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Helen wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 5:20am:
Can those Tread Craft keys be changed?

Oh, now I get it.

Not sure. Haven't tried as yet as the default doesn't conflict with my usual keyboard use.

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Ray
Ultimate Member

Feed me!

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2022 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
There's been some changes... Buggie took up on these not too long ago and now they're network play capable.

Buggie who made the update, and is still enhancing it, has started putting out maps for it as well.

This one played great - https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15066

Flags can now be transported by vehicles, though you have to get out and grab the flag before getting back in.

...and now there are helicopters!

Bit of a learning curve with those:
· Despite being in the air, there's a kinda Tokyo Drift aspect as they sorta slide to the sides when they turn.
· Getting the hang of aiming that way is gonna be tricky.
· Moving side to side and up and down is only slightly hampered by where my keyboard controls for those are.

Buggie's update thread · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14936

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

TankBeef

Hello

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2022 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
DISCLAIMER: This is just my opinion. One of the many reasons why UT 1999 is my all time favorite game is that it is highly moddable and customizable, and anyone should be able to find ways to play it the way they like. All this said...
I personally do not enjoy vehicles in UT. Part of the many reasons why I do not play 2004. I have tried to like them, many times, but they feel strange to me. I did download this mutator and the map, and it confirmed even more why I do not like vehicles. So I removed them.
I will admit my favorite mod is NW3, also by Ferali, and I am totally aware that he had the intention to add vehicles to the mod from the start. The great thing about NW3 is that you can use any part that you want of it, you don't need to have the whole thing enabled. Very flexible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint