Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Things to make UT run better (Read 3751 times)
Ultimate Member

Hello

Things to make UT run better
Sep 21st, 2016 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
In my quest to make a free 1999 game run better I thought I would share my findings over the last 10 years!

1. Bumped my internet to 1gb down and 50 up. I was 250 down and 20 up.  Result...no difference. I think if you have at least 50 down and 10 up and everyone isn't watching Netflix, then that's plenty for UT.

2.Swapped my standard hard-drive with an SSD drive. Computer is much quicker, but UT plays the same. My computer will load in about 35 seconds now, instead of 2 minutes, so that's kinda cool.

3.Once again bought a 144hz monitor. BenQ (XL2411Z) 24" 3D Ready LCD Monitor.  I know I posted a review of an Asus 144hz monitor a year ago. I have to reconfirm that this makes a big difference.  No jittery game play or blur.  I can comfortably play UT in full HD at 144 fps and my aiming is improved.  Don't get me wrong, there is still lag but a gaming monitor definitely helps.

4.Gaming keyboard.  The keyboard=no difference.  The only thing I like about keyboards is that you can create macros for dodging. So u push any direction button and it dodges.  But I also found I would dodge into areas I didn't want to. So now I just double tap. Any $10 keyboard is fine.

5. Gaming mouse-Yes!  This makes aiming so much better. I have had the same Razor DeathAdder for 5 years and I love it. My sensitivity setting is 0.65 which maY seem slow for some players but really helps with rifles and shock.

6.Gaming pad for mouse-Yes! They're like $10-20 and the mouse really seems to work better on one.  My pad is about 14" x 16".  I usually only use about 1/4 of it, but I still like the larger size.

7.VideoCard-Yes and No!  I have a cheaper card gtx650 (around$150).  But last year I tried an almost $300 card (I think it a Nvidia GTX960).  No difference in game play or effects in comparison with my cheaper card. But compared to the onboard graphics of intel or amd, there is no comparison. So if you only plan to play UT a card somewhere between $125-150 should be sufficient. My card plays Crysis 3 no problem!

8.Renderers- Use d3d renderers for more color, use opengl for better functionality.  I use openglr36 from this site...http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/     I have tried all the d3d renderers from 8-13 and I prefer opengl.  It just looks and runs cleaner to me.

9.Netspeed- Generally anything between 5000-10000 should be plenty.  I find when I use 20000 the game runs slower. A lot of players recommend 20000 but unless you are on a Newnet server that reduces lag, then I would stay under 10000.  Try different settings and see what works best for you.

10. Mapvote Keybinding-Many new players can't pull up the mapvote on servers. The best way I have found is to assign it to a button on the keyboard.  To to this....Go to C:/Unreal Tournament/System/User ini/   once you are there  scroll down to M and write:

M=mutate bdbmapvote votemenu

Then close and save it.  I also right click on user.ini and send to desktop. This saves a little time for other things to add down the road.  Now when you go to a mapvote server you can just push M and get the mapmenu!

11. CPU-yes.  I have used many cpu's from an pentium4's to an i5-4590.  Definitely a difference.  The newer cpu's don't bottleneck your videocards, so your frame rates will stay higher.  I would recommend at least a 3rd generation Intel i3 or AMD A10-7800 cpu. 

12. Tweaking UT...legally----there are a few manuals online but I think the game looks like crap after I make the changes. It usually looks all washed out.  If you want the game to move faster, just make your resolution lower (say 800x600 or 1024x768), turn the World Texture Detail to the minimum setting and type this in the console...fov 110 (you can try 100 too if its too narrow).  The game will play faster for sure.

13. Update your hardware drivers and add the 436 patch and bonus packs 1 and 4.

http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Patches/&file=utpatch436.exe

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=Patches/&file=UTBonusPa...

Okay, that's all I can think of for now and I hope that helps!  Please feel free to add things that I have forgotten.

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Re: Things to make UT run better
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Ive personally noticed a HUGE difference between renderers mostly, nearly any version of Direct3D, or Direct3D10 or even 11 is much MUCH faster than OpenGL, the gameplay in general seems sped up. Id be interested to know if anybody else notices a speed difference in D3D vs OpenGL, also the Razer DeathAdder 3.5G is a great mouse without most of the semi useless frills of their higher end models. I can agree thoroughly that ANY mousepad makes a huge difference especially with laser based mice. Im using one thats @ least 18 years old, nice and thick and wouldnt trade it for 100$.

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
My experience with renderers is that openGL is smooth as glass, and direct3D is chop. So as to which one is better must have other dependencies, like monitor, card, motherboard, etc. I've had 3 different cards, but all some form of GeForce. My processor is AMD.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I agree with Helen.
My last old comp ran UT way better on D3D.
I haven't tried OpenGL on my new comp - yet.

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

medor

Hello

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 6:42am
Print Post  
d3d is not chop .... the basic UT setting d3d is chop

If you want to compare opengl and d3d you have to set the same settings for the two in the UT.ini before.

My experience

Old PC
opengl for nvidia (more processor use)
d3d for ati (more graphic card use)

Recent PC
d3d

My last build UT ready win 10 is under d3d9 first.
Not more recent d3d for total compatibility anticheat.

IP Logged

RiTALiN

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I did want to make note that the original D3D that came with UT is NOT up to par with the included OpenGL. Also any newer versions of either renderer change the stats entirely not to mention add new features, I noticed with the "NEWER" renderer's that once you get to D3D10 the available options are fully in line with OpenGL. D3D11 actually has one or two more, (also doesnt fully recognize in the game) but neither of them are performance gains, in fact the opposite supporting new technologies that will actually stress just about any card (Tesselation being one such example). OpenGL is moving to become Vulkan now which based on my tests give @ least DOUBLE, (yes 200% the framerates of OpenGL) Direct X 11 is limited to Windows Vista or newer and Direct X 12 is limited even harder to Windows 10 only. Also in regards to newer processor's (CPU's) there is no basis to a newer CPU causing greater FPS (UNLESS....there is already a graphical bottleneck!) Anything higher than a Pentium 4 is more than enough for UT99. In fact with newer intel based CPU's disabling Enhanced Intel Speedstep will increase your FPS because it's no longer "Throttling" it. If you've got an older machine and dont want to upgrade you can always try overclocking your CPU to get better FPS as well.

Going back home, Na-Pali or bust.
IP Logged

medor

Hello

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:13am
Print Post  
I try to edit my signature but missing place.

Can you extend the character number please ?

Code
Select All
[url=http://medor.no-ip.org/]medor utfiles[/url]
[url=http://medor.no-ip.org:8080/Upload/]upload a file to medor utfile[/url]
[url=http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7]UnrealTournament-V3 08/15/16[/url] 

medor utfiles
upload a file to medor utfile
UnrealTournament-V3 08/15/16

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
medor wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 5:13am:
Can you extend the character number please ?

Done.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

medor

Hello

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Thx

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint