Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic UT Quality control experiment 3254...lol (Read 3105 times)
Ultimate Member

Hello

UT Quality control experiment 3254...lol
Aug 29th, 2015 at 4:39am
Print Post  
So last week I tested a decent video card (gtx960..around $280 where I live) It didn't really make UT run any better than my GTX 650 ($150 card). Even with drivers, tweaks,etc.  So I returned it and bought an ASUS 144hz monitor.  Now, that's a difference!  I have always had a 60 hz monitor and I have run it from 60-200 fps. But with Vsync off there's a lot of screen tearing. So I usually run it about 60-75 fps.  Anyway, after watching several Youtube videos, I took the plunge and purchased a new monitor (Asus-VG248QE).  There really is a difference.  I have always read that the human eye can't tell the difference after 60fps.  But I'm telling you that I can see a huge difference in smoothness and quality. A 144hz monitor will not make you a great player but your eyes will enjoy the way the game looks and moves.  Okay, on to the next test, whatever that is...lol.

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Re: UT Quality control experiment 3254...lol
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2015 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Perfect, thanks for posting that. That is an upgrade I wouldn't mind trying.

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Hook
privatehook

Hello, I am Hook

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Yes, me too!
I never really think about Monitors. Sad
Thanks for that post! Wink

=Hook=
ALL NEW! -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net

Server: CROSSBONES Lucifur MISSILE MADNESS {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
So under the heading of Dazed and Confused, I  decided to return the monitor.   After playing UT all weekend (really years)and shooting through player after player without causing damage, especially in glorious, non blurry HD, it finally sank in.  For years I have spent money to fix my lag issues.   But now I know that no Monitor,CPU,Videocard,ethernet adapter, modem,mouse or keyboard will make my connection better. (Believe me, I've tried them all)  It's been fun experimenting and hoping that the next thing will suddenly make UT play better, but it's really out of my control and I just have to enjoy the game the way it plays for me.  Hmmm...what to do now...

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Geez, you sounded so positive about it before. Maybe it would have been worth keeping for other games? Or maybe it was the wife that took it back Smiley

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Ultimate Member

Hello

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 12:28am
Print Post  
No, lol, it was me.  I always wanted to find out if a decent video card and monitor would make UT less laggy.  The monitor made the game easier on the eyes, but did nothing for reducing lag. I'm glad I found out, because I can finally rule out anything to do with hardware.  To be honest I'm relieved and disappointed.  Helen, get the monitor and try it it out.  Best Buy,etc, will take it back within 14 days if you change your mind.

IP Logged

Helen
YaBB Administrator

hello

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Actually I'm broke right now, gotta pay off the visa, then get a fake tooth in my mouth. No goodies for me for a while!

One of the Scriveners.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint